 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 1445
Re: Surrey Railfest (Sept. 2 Show) CANCELLED
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 20:08:14 GMT

Robin Sather wrote:

Sad but true.  I got a call today from the organizers with the sorry
news that the show has been cancelled.  There are a few reasons for
it, but one of them was that of the 100 expected tables and exhibits
that they *expected*, only 10 had confirmed.  The organizer was quick
to explain that we were not part of these 100, but were a bonus that
they were excited to get.  There were other logistical issues that had
created some problems as well.

That being that, do we want to try and do the Chilliwack show?
Perhaps we want to scout out another venue to do a show?  Mall show,
Kid's Camp, Community Days somewhere, etc.  I was remembering the
other day that the PNE always used to have a Lego building competition
as part of their annual exhibits.  Too late for that this year, but I
can guarantee you that they would be interested in having us there,
and we could probably even run a day-camp/seminar/building school type
thing as well.  There would definitely be money for the club involved
in that kind of gig.

Well I can't say I'm disappointed. I started feeling really pressured.
There wasn't enough setup time and resources were not confirmed.

The Chilawak show is just too far, too large an expense, unless they were
willing to make it worth our while. Apart from Charity events, I think,
from now on, we know exactly how the club will benefit up front. the last
show we did profited from us greatly and I don't think we will see a cent.

I am working on The Bay to see if we can get a spot in there. Is there any
interest? If there is I'll push it more.

Dean
--
Dean Husby
LUGNET Member #320