 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 1438
Re: Mpegs uploaded for the TTOS Show!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 21:05:28 GMT

The sign is a micro motor with the sign directly attached. But to get the speed
to a good level I used a diode bridge and a zenfer diode (5.1) and ran the whole
mess on a train regulator on power level 7. (One down from MAX)

<snip ...>

Not to mention the automatic train
crossing.

The train crossing is mine. There's a page on it here.
http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego_traincrossing.html

How many trains did you have running,

Dean
--
Dean Husby
LUGNET Member #320

Just some information. I see that you use only 2 red LED's for the crossing
signal. If you use the round 1x1 bricks, then you can pull the wires through
the hole of these bricks. On the bottom, you can use a 2x4 technic plate to
pass these wires back to the outside. I made a crossing signal with 3 LED's
(2x red,1x yellow [3mm size]) and used thin wire as MAERKLIN uses in there
trains / points. These wires are thinner than the black LEGO wire so i could
pull 4 (YES 4 !!) wires throug the round 1x1 bricks
(http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=3062b ).
I didn't place a 'cross' on the signal, but drilled 3 holes (3mm diameter)
in a 2x3 plate to place the LED's into the hole. On the front side placed i
2 transparent round plated for the red LED's and 1 transparent yellow round
plate for the yellow LED. The red LED's are on the top left and top right
side of the 2x3 plate. The yellow one is in the bottom / middle of the 2x3
plate. This means that the 2x3 plate is horizontaly 3 studs wide and 2 studs
high.

My signal uses following parts (from bottom to top):
2 plates 1x2
1 technic plate 2x4
1 yellow 1x1 round bricks
1 black 1x1 round brick
1 yellow 1x1 round bricks
2 square 1x1 bricks with a hole on the front side
(http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=4070)
1 square plate 1x1. on the frontside of the top square brick 1 x 1 with
Headlight
1 plate 2x3 . place top row middle stud (back side)on the 1x1 square plate
1 transparent round red plate on the top left stud from the 2x3 plate
1 transparent round red plate on the top right stud from the 2x3 plate
1 transparent round yellow plate on the bottom center stud from the 2x3 plate

regards,
Ludo

BTW: it's not a zenfer diode but a ZENER diode with a cutoff voltage of 5.1
volts.