 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 1430
Re: Mpegs uploaded for the TTOS Show!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 22:28:21 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.vlc, Dean Husby writes:
Adam Murtha wrote:

Wow!  I didn't realize you had so many automated/automatic gizmos.  Who did
the drive in theatre?

I did. It's an iPAQ 3670 in there. The iPAQ's screen and dimensions match LEGO
studs perfectly.

What's an iPAQ?

I've been trying to do a sign to rotate EXACTLY like
the one at that drive in, maybe the person responsible might be willing to
share the details.

The sign is a micro motor with the sign directly attached. But to get the speed
to a good level I used a diode bridge and a zenfer diode (5.1) and ran the whole
mess on a train regulator on power level 7. (One down from MAX)

What does a diode do?  I was planning on using a 9v motor with a train
regulator, hopefully it will be as effective as what you did.

The whole thing is very cool, the Skytrain is easily
recognizable, to me anyway who is from Vancouver, I hope people at the show
recognized it.

I don't think that was an issue. 8^)

I've been thinking about trying to do the same sort of thing
for the next train show in Calgary for the C-train (same thing pretty much
as the Skytrain)

David created the stickers. He did a fantastic job.

And the gondola, wow!

I did the sensors and program, David created the Gondola. Amazing isn't it?

Not to mention the automatic train
crossing.

The train crossing is mine. There's a page on it here.
http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego_traincrossing.html

How many trains did you have running,

We had 2 passenger trains running at the same time on the Passenger line. The
hogwarts and another.
The Hogwarts had a sensor that allowed only it to enter the Castle area. All
others went the other way.

I only saw 3 in the videos,
4558, 4565 and the Hogwart's.

4565? We didn't have any of those. None...

Lets see, on the Industrial line we had:
My CN engine
Large Black My Own Train
4565 Steam Engine
4563 Load N' Haul Railroad
4564 Freight Rail Runner

You just said you didn't have a 4565, but you did have a 4565...You've got
me confused.

Passenger line we had:
Hogwarts
Metroliner(s) with club car(s)
4561 modified
Thomas the Tank...

I think that was it...

The only shots I didn't get were of the Trolley. It was computer controlled to
go to 3 stops and stop, wait and continue on. Maybe I should add that shot were
the kid thought he was going to get hit. I wish I would have had a shot of the
woman that did get hit. She puts her head right on the track. Then WHAM...
Ouch..

Again, nice work!

Thanks. It was a lot of work from a lot of us. We had 4 RCX's there running
things and I want at least 3 more 'goodies'.

Dean
--
Dean Husby
LUGNET Member #320