 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 1361
Re: Future of the club
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 16:22:31 GMT

I've been watching the VLC for a couple of months now, with somewhat of
yearning to join. However being 19 and being recently accepted into BCIT
(Civil Engineering, which might explain my passion for Lego) I was reluctant
to commit myself to join because I thought I could not commit myself to
meetings and such.  Though I live in Richmond I was unable to drop by on
Sunday, but I shadowed the VLC newsgroup leading up to it.  I also remember
in the spring you guys did a display with an airport and were clamoring to
find planes.  Being a former Air Cadet, I also have an interest in Lego
planes, and have a small but varied collection.  Lastly I've also followed
your discussions about the logistics IE carting around the tables in vans,
etc., and was interested because I do own a pick-up truck.  While I am
interested in joining the club I'll have to see what my workload is like in
Sept.

Welcome, Tim!

Thanks for delurking!  In response to your posting, if you've been
reading our forum for the past while, you've seen us joke around about
some of our "members".  We've got a few people in our membership that
I've never even met!  So the fact that you might miss some or even
most of the meetings is absolutely no big deal.  As you can see, tons
of stuff happens right here, on the forum, as well as through posted
pix on Brickshelf, etc.

As far as committing your resources (time, truck, etc.), don't worry.
You can only do what you can do.  All of us contribute what we're able
to, and the rest of us are grateful for it.  Some of us can do a lot
of work right now, but may be too busy later to do as much.  You get
the idea.  We don't all need to contribute to the same degree, to work
together effectively.

Also, as a club, we don't just want to be about doing shows,
especially train shows.  We have several members that aren't really
into trains, and some that don't really want to be involved in doing
shows (of any kind).  It's the shows that create all the major work.
Getting together with MOCs, doing a little show and tell, and just
hanging around shooting the breeze takes no work at all, and is great
fun.  September's meet will be like this.

We'd love to have you join us, to whatever extent you're able.  I'm
about to re-post the details of the next possible get-together, which
is actually a train show in Surrey on Sept. 2nd.  It looks like our
next actual club meeting will probably be on Sept. 14th, with an
"International" space theme (the Seattle boys are paying a visit).  If
you can make it, email any one of the regulars here, and get details
on the location, time, etc.

Looking forward to meeting you, and seeing some of those planes!

Robin
Email: robinsather@hotmail.com