 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 133
Re: Meeting this Friday
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:06:45 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.vlc, Mark Tarrabain writes:
Dave Johann wrote:
Their reasons will remain secret until they decide to release them publicly. We
all have our reasons for wanting a modicum of privacy, and that's the way it is.
Exclusivity has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Sorry, but I call it as I see it.  Exclusivity is how it was looking
from where I was sitting.  As I said in my last message, the whole point
of going to a club meeting is to *BE* sociable and make new friends.  If
everybody at a club always knows everybody else, it's pretty much always
going to look like an exclusive club from the outside - and a person has
to know somebody who's already on the inside to get in.  Since I don't
know anyone else on LUGNET or this VLC group, It really does appear that
people such as myself are out of luck.

You bring up a good point in that you do need to know something about the club/
someone insdie the club in order to attend the meetings. This is quite true.
There may very well be another LUGOLA that doesn't use LUGNET to communicate to
one another. How they would manage to exist in the first place is quite a
stretch of the imagination. Did I know anyone in this club before we first got
together? Nope. Did I know anyone on LUGNET before meeting/talking to them?
Nope. Did I know OF any adult Lego users before frequenting LUGNET? Yes,
Xandria. And, no, I won't reveal how I knew about her, but she knows, and helped
to bring me out of my dark ages (along with a great Lego sale).

As with everything in life: It's always easier to learn about it when there is
someone to show you the way.

As with any dealings with the web: There is a part of everyone's life that they
would prefer not to be broadcasted to all. Specific information fits that bill.
If I choose to give you my address, it is MY choice and MY choice alone. Anyone
else broadcasting it is invading MY privacy. I can't and won't abide by that
happening.

I'm not intending to come across as a troublemaker, but I don't
particularly care for needless discrimination.  And I'll make a hell of
a lot of noise when I see it.

Fair enough. I don't see you as one. I don't know of anyone who enjoys
discrimination. When I find someone like that, I'll let you know. For the
record: I can be prettey noisy myself when I want to be.

As I said, if someone will actually fill
_in_ the gaps that I may have in my knowledge, instead of simply
reaffirming that for some unstated reason I am not worthy to receive
such information, I'd be happy to listen.

I wish I could fill in those gaps, but only Dean and Xandria can do that. The
choice is theirs and I will respect that. I will only state that the reason has
already been posted in a different thread.

By the way, if the meetings are in somebody's home, I *can* respect
that, and I could certainly see that that as sufficient reason for
wanting the information kept private.  But I've never seen that point
mentioned.  Of course, if that's the case, I'd encourage the VLC to try
to find a more public place for their meetings at some point in the
not-too distant future.  There are lots of places in town that won't
charge rent for clubs that need a place to meet.  All you need to do is
know the right people.

Mark

I'm glad that places like that exist in Vancouver. Here in Los Angeles, if you
don't know someone, you are out of luck. Either that, or you will be meeting in
a park. Until LUGOLA has enough active members to warrant a more permanent
solution, we will continue the 'tour of residences'.

-Dave
http://surf.to/mtron
Home of the M-tron Commandos