 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 115
Re: Meeting this Friday
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 21:41:32 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.vlc, Mark Tarrabain writes:

You know, there's something about this thread I find vaguely
disturbing...

Most specifically, this comment:

"In order to maintain a sense of order and control (for example, unknown
people arriving and causing problems for members) during the meetings,
it is requested that the exact location of meetings be kept out of any
public forums."

First of all, isn't this supposed to be for a club?  How do you expect
to get new members if you don't advertise where you are so that people
can come, watch, meet with members, and join up?  Sure, there's the web
page, and you can always get the specific information by email, but not
every person is gonna know where to look.

How do you find new members? Simple...that's one of the reasons LUGNET exists.
If not for LUGNET, Henry, myself, and the other members of LUGOLA never would
have met. A valid email address, a basic knowledge of the Los Angeles area, and
a love of Lego is all that is required to hook up with us, but showing up at our
homes uninvited isn't the best way to get on our good sides.

Secondly, I have to wonder what sort of person would be disturbed enough
to go to a lego club meeting to cause a disruption?  (Other than a
child, but I don't think that a child should be attending any sort of
club without a parent or guardian present anyways.)

In this day and age, anything is possible.

Finally, why would anyone in their right mind be so overwhelmingly
concerned about somebody disrupting a LEGO club meeting?

That isn't the concern. The concern is the interruption of our private lives and
businesses. Few paople know my home address. I'd like to keep it that way. There
is NO valid reason for it to be posted without my consent.

The organizers of this club say that they have their reasons for
maintaining secrecy.  Well, I for one would sure like to know what those
reasons are, because right now, all they're doing is presenting the
image that they are trying to be exclusive, and not let just anybody
in.  That's not particularly friendly, in my opinion.  And if a person
doesn't want to go to a LEGO club to have fun and make new friends, I
quite honestly don't see the point.

Their reasons will remain secret until they decide to release them publicly. We
all have our reasons for wanting a modicum of privacy, and that's the way it is.
Exclusivity has absolutely nothing to do with it.

-Dave
http://surf.to/mtron
Home of the M-tron Commandos

Mark

P.S. In spite of how the above may have sounded, I was really not trying
to antagonize or insult anyone.  I just really needed to get that off my
chest, because what I've said above is a very genuine concern that I
have.  I'd love to hear responses from anyone that would be interested
in filling in some of these blanks.

Done  -:-)