 Organizations / Canada / VLC / 118
117  |  119
Subject:
Reasons for Keeping the VLC's location to Members only
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.vlc
Date:
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 22:16:27 GMT

I've noted that a lot of you people are now sending nasty messages
regarding the unfortunate public disclosure of the locations Address.

I have the following points in regards to this:

1. It is a condition of the Owners of the 'Location' that the address be
kept private. To fail to do so would result in the LOSS of use of the
'Location'.

2. It was mentioned to myself that some groups (Not all of them are
lego) have had problems of 'unknown' persons arriving and 'taking' items
not belonging to them. We wished to avoid this with the VLC.

3. Xandria (One of the Co-founding members) is a 'Web personality' and
as such has been troubled by 'Stalkers, and other rather odd
individuals. We have had to MOVE because of this and don't with to do so
again.

4. At the bottom of EVERY Official letter sent by the VLC founding
Members it clearly states "In order to maintain a sense of order and
control (for example, unknown people arriving and causing problems for
members) during the meetings, it is requested that the exact location of
meetings be kept out of any public forums."

5. At the end of every VLC meeting we ask attending members where and
when they would like meet. Since we have a large space with tables and
chairs so far the members have chosen to use the 'Location' since it is
free and convenient.

6. It is a VLC policy that only members and guests of members know the
location of the meetings.

In regards to the current thread titled "re:meeting this Friday" and
Xandria requested that if the individual message cannot be removed by
Lugnet staff that the entire directory be purged and reopened.

Since the original message was in violation of VLC rules (Policies) any
actions necessary should be performed to correct this.

Since the PERSONAL safety of ANY member is at risk it is the duty of the
Co-Founders to do EVERYTHING in their power to correct it.

Every member has equal 'rights' or privileges in the VLC. Members
attending the first meeting were the ones that all agreed on this.

Basically, if any of you don't wish to join the VLC that's your choice,
but we've had a lot of fun at the last 3 meetings. I'd hate for you, and
I, to be missing out in some experience with Lego.

If you're going to 'boycott' the VLC because it's trying to protect the
personal safety of a member then, really, do we, the members, want you
in our club?

If the members of the VLC wish to have the meeting address open to the
public then a new location will be found.

Thank you.

No flames please, sensible conversation only.

Dean Husby VLC Co-Founder
--
Coin-Op's For Sale!: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/coin-op.html
Dean's Lego Workshop: http://www.akasa.bc.ca/tfm/lego_wr.html