 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9837
Re: Train6L, more revisions than the Zorro III arbitration and the A3000 Buster Chip.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:59:30 GMT

Calum Tsang wrote:
JeffVW house meeting layout studies:

Post after they become public or post deep links.  Otherwise no-one will
ever look at them.

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/nglcl/train6l.jpg

I'm not a fan of the cross over, especially if it involves two different
lines.  It means it is no longer possible to just setup two trains and
just let them run.  You have to be constantly watching them.

There really isn't enough space there to do a proper ramp to make a
bridge crossing either.

This one is based on the train6k Dave sent out.  If we try the Derek method of
using curves to get into the station, we might be able to get a terminus station
in the top corner there.

Then it just looks tacked on.  I thought David's previous layout, the
simple rectangle actually fit the station in, in an effective way.
Where it was positioned other buildings could be built around it.  This
would make it look like part of the environment, rather then a piece on
its own.

-More traditional round the loop train layout.  Easy to build for, assemble,
install, strike and transport.  Analogy to NMRA:  This is like those guys who
did the giantlayout.net or whatever layout.

-Something altogether different-ie, highly landscaped, highly thematic (like
Derek's Japanese city concept), something totally non-American.  The layout
could be like 85% JeffVW dam like in terrain, and not even have "set pieces"
like a large train station but instead just non stop detail.  Things like
signage, colour schemes, era/architecture/style have to be all set and adhered
to, as like a proper train layout.  Think of the guy and his British On3 layout
with the lush furrow in the countryside with trees around it.  Like him.

I don't see how these options are separate.  These no reason we can't
build a detailed themed display on top of a rectangular arrangement of
modules.

Jeff E and I were discussing how far we took the detail of the Altenberg
layout, and we both agreed we were only got to about 50% of were we
wanted to go with it.  I would love to see this level of integration
taken all the way around the layout.

I think we need to be practical about how we setup the modules though.
The rectangle is simple to setup, it's easy to surround with stations,
and it give us a place to sit, store equipment and run the trains away
from the crowed.

Derek