 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9129
9128  |  9130
Subject:
the Jan. Game..... was Re: Who the hell wanted this instead of pipe?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 04:13:27 GMT

Calum Tsang wrote:

rtlToronto15: The Chronic

Damn you all! :)

Calum
PS-I actually think this is by far the coolest contest we'll ever attempt.

Lady's and gentlemen.

Step right up.  be amazed at what your about to hear.

Pipe racers is dead.  Long live connect four.

with 11 RTLer's at the post game dinner we have finalized the new game for
January.
with a clear majority, 8 people claimed to not want to build a pipe robot, but
instead opt for the infinitely more complex game of.....

CONNECT FOUR.

the game is simple.

build a robot that plays connect four.   Period.

Now the hard part.

(these are just the tentative rules)

unlike those wanna bees at IBM beep Blue,   your RCXen robot will need to:

1.  scan the board,
2. place a chip
3. signal to the opponent its his turn.
4. your robot has a set time to make a move.
5. wait until opponent has made a move, and start a # 1.

these are the things we discussed.  the game board will look like a standard MB
connect four game.

http://www.binc.org/videolink-kids/330games/images/connect4.jpg

-your robot has to place its chip, then clear away from the top of the game board,
to allow its opponent to place its chip.
-your opponent will be another robot, BUT for interest, should allow for a human.
- no size limit.
- no rcx limit
- you robot must accept and send the "your turn" system (yet to be decided)

Derek has already pointed out that algorithms already exist on the net for solving
these style games. too bad an RCX only had 6K of ram. (20 if you run some other
OS)

Chris
"It is a very clever strategy IMHO, and I applaud Chris for thinking of it."  K.C.

where will this rag tag group of Canadian lego guys end up??  is their NOTHING we
wont try?

stay tuned.

(smirk)