 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 906
905  |  907
Subject:
the robot game field
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2001 21:57:43 GMT

some questions have come up.

mainly from Steve.

1. Posted on web site - May Monthly Dinner: Thursday, May 18th, 6pm,
Mel's Montreal Deli. 440 Bloor West (East of Bathurst) One week
later

Is this really Thursday, May 17th or Friday, May 18th?

For those who will be attending... the monthly dinner will be FRIDAY,
MAY 18.

2. Rules - Two robots are started in the corners.... which corner? left
or right

Calum and I have not thought too much about corner designation.  IF it
dose not matter to the group, we can either just pick one corner to
start,  or leave it up to each player to decide where he wants to
start,  seeing as in this game, HALF the field is 'yours' then I can not
see this being an issue.

3. What grade of plywood did you buy for the table, I'm thinking of
building a test arena to regulation size.

4. What brand and colours of paint did you use to paint it?

these two question come up often, all the info about the play field can
be found here:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-playfield-index.html

now, with all this in mind, I'd like to post an update on the field
colour.

I recently took measurements using an RCX and a light sensor.  the
difference in percent between the grey and the white was very small.

to this end I just spent the better part of the day at a paint store
having a custom colour made up that gave me a nice percent with the rcx.

Here is what I did.  In the paint store the black tape read 37
and the white tape read 52.    It took 8 tries but the new grey reads as

44/45  which is between 37 and 52.  or as close as the nice lady was
willing to try.  every time she re-mixed the paint we took a small
sample, painted it on a scrap of plywood, and wait for it to dry. then I

pulled out the rcx with a light sensor and took a reading of the black,
white and grey.

I still have to re-paint the board, but this gets me one step closer.
When it is fully repainted with the new colour grey, I will take more
reading and post them.

Chris
Visit my newly revamped walker page @
http://www.members.home.net/cmagno/technics/index.htm