 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8968
Re: Pipe Racers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 18:41:16 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

Thanks for the videoclip, Steve!

Just curious, who's robots are going at it there?  Did they crash on the far
side?  :)

The robot on the left was mine, and on the right was John G.  Those two ended up
first and second.

My robot was able to go down the pipe much faster than it went up, because one
of the wheels was designed to disengage from the pipe when the robot was
inverted.

During this gravity-assisted acceleration, the robot would contine on it's
downward course, until it detected the opponent, at which point it would quickly
decelerate, until all forward movement had ceased and both robots had come to a
complete stop.

The deceleration was sometimes accompanied by audio effects, much like you would
hear when a hand full of LEGO blocks are dropped on a wooden floor, or the
grinding sound you can sometime hear when generating plastic dust.

I think my robot's deceleration in this clip was much less dramatic then in some
of the matches.  :)