 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8378
Re: rtl16 Ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 15:45:00 GMT

The one I could think of was a stationary Assembly Line type where you were to
manufacture a specific "Lego product", ie, like a five piece duck or car.  Use
anything you want including multiRCX, 9751 with PC etc.

DUCKS!!!!

LEGO DUCKS.  Ducks ducks ducks.  YES.

Points are awarded as a combination of speed (cycle time) and quality (points
lost for missing parts, loose fittings)

That is soooo awesome.

That's so realistic too.  Becuase it's all about minimising cycle time while
reducing downtime.  How many good parts per minute can you do?  What if you make
a bodged duck and let it come out the end and pass it off for good?  Or do you
have QC that picks bad ducks?

How about you have to paletise the ducks into duck trays.  And then make them in
the shape of an X.

I would really be interested in such a game, but I'm not sure if anyone would
think it's sufficiently interested in such an arcane contest.  It's very
ProjectXish.

I think a lot of my co-workers would be really interested!

(Then again, the 2 co-workers that came to ProjectX left after 30 minutes.
Sigh.)

"Well Doreen, they're doing some sort of Lego factory thing."

"That sounds stupid."

LOL!

PS-That or a mosaic assembler.

You wanna get the kids to sit still for 6 hours while the VisionCommand drives
the block placement?  :)

(I think a mosiac-building machine would be *awesome*, and I would assume FAR
more easier to do with ControlLab than the RCX.)

A while ago, Rob and I were talking about a game like this, but each person has
to assemble a specific "component" of some master end-product.  We're each
responsible for one piece of modular automation which completes a given task.
We, on site, on game/demo day, line up all our systems, and run the entire
assembly line.

It would be a bridge between the train shows and the robot contests.  It's like
exactly halfway in between.  Modules of automation, completing a task.

We could design a common pallet size and method of pallet conveyance which is
simple, and a communications protocal or have some kind of overgoverning clock
bus that sends a pulse every 20 seconds (or whatever the max. cycle time of
someone's block is).  Or if we've got enough I/O you oculd have one ControlLab
which just grabs an input from everyone's cell, and once all the cells are done,
send out the pulse to tell everyone to advance the pallets to the next guy.

OMG THIS IS COOL. 7334.

    Iain