 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 8334
8333  |  8335
Subject:
new pneumatic switch leaks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 01:44:29 GMT

So, I'm done.

I built the new 8455, and I like it a lot. A few good parts, some neat
tips in the building instructions.

I decided to try to "play with the thing" before I ripped it apart and
make my rice robot...

I pump the pumps a few times, and I hear this hiss.

to make a long trial and error process short, I narrowed it down to a
leaky pneumatic switch.

I was stunned.

because of the way the new switches use holes to join (opposed to studs)
I cant just switch out and old for a new (easily)

I have every intention to call Lego and I'm sure they will be nice and
replace it.  but man. it was disappointing.

The one thing I've noticed with this set, above all the good thing other
people have said about it. is the many "loose ends"

for example, the 2 pistons that raise the front bucket.  the base is
only held in place with one pin, and only on half the piston.  why not
both sides??

there are a few places that have a "rivet" width hanging out both
sides.  either cap with a rivet, or use a 1 unit shorter axle.

the instructions are OK.  In the grand "dumbing down: every step that
has either an axle or a beam longer then 9 holes, has somewhere on that
page a 1:1 drawing of the beam or axle. cause kids cant count holes?
cause the HUGE picture in the FRONT of the instruction book is not
enough? cause paper grows on trees?

ok, I'm done.

its still a GREAT set. and way better then train.  but I felt I should
point out some of the disappointments.

and if these are the disappointments then imagine how great the set it.

Chris