 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7981
Re: Cutting Rail and Rejoining it
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:41:23 GMT

David, you've cut track before.  What do you use to cut the metal cap on
the rails.  I'd like to cut it cleanly without crimping it or bending
it.  I've taken it off the plastic part of the track because I don't
want to damage that part of the track.

I've thought of using snips but I don't think I'll get a clean end.
I've tried just doing it with an knife but it's just not cutting through
and I'm afraid of crushing it.  Maybe a dremel would work, but I've
always found them hard to control.

Does anyone have a dremel  and is not currently in Nova Scotia?

Derek

I love to cut stuff, especially Lego ... evil laugh heard in the background.

Seriously,

cutting the track is the least of your worries! Almost anything from a dremel to
one of those mini hacksaws or even a high speed band saw like I like use will
work.

The real heartburn comes from what you have to do after you cut and that is when
you rejoin the cut ends. (I assume you are making fractional length straights or
modified switches or something.)

You have to really work on the metal edges to make them smooth down to
microscopic dimensions because the Lego train wheels are ABS and will wear out
alarming quickly if they encounter any little jaggies.

I go to great lengths to grind and smooth the edges prior to rejoining. And
recently, after some practice, I've discovered that if you're quick and ensure
everything is well jigged, you can fill the gap with solder and then grind
smooth back to a finish which lets the wheels slip effortlessly across the
surface. But I don't recommend the soldering for everyone - it took me a lot of
practice to get it right!

JB