 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7553
Re: Those stupid rat b*********s!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 14:49:08 GMT

We had 2 laptops stolen off a desk at work over the weekend.

This just burns me.

They took the Toshiba 6100's but not the usb floppies, or the power
supplies--just the 2 laptops.

We're going thru the security log now but it doesn't look as if there was anyone
'officially' in the building when the laptops went missing.

Back at Nortel we had five laptops stolen by some sort of organized ring of
notebook thieves.  It was a pretty good scam:

Two people dressed in suits would walk into the office, one of them carrying an
empty laptop bag.  Since this was Nortel R&D, no one ever wore suits, so even
though it was out of the ordinary, they were assumed from Corporate or
salespeople.  No one bothered them.

They'd find a name from somewhere-maybe a business card on a desk, maybe on a
phone list on a wall, on a cubicle nameplate etc.

Then one would stand outside a cubicle keeping guard while the other would be
inside stealing the laptop and dropping it into their empty bag.  Then they'd
walk out.

If anyone approached them, they say "I'm looking for so and so", using the name
they found earlier.

We had several machines stolen that way.  They went around from office to
office-some of the banks and insurance firms down the street got hit in the same
way.

The other day I thought my Palm Vx was stolen.  I was really irate-why didn't
you take the frickin dock and charger!)(*&)#@*&!  Then I realized they were at
home.  Which was good, because I needed the Vx to run RCX DCC anyways.*

Calum
* which BTW ROCKS.  Mark, you are a genius.  (Unless the buzzing eventually
kills my RCX :)