 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7376
Re: web page with wheel/slip info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2003 21:10:54 GMT

Chris Magno wrote:

http://www.philohome.com/traction/traction.htm

most of you would have seen the original post in   .robotics, BUT for
those who are RTL xenophobes....

it looks like this page confirms all along about what we've occasional
discussed.

treads, and solid rubber wheel are crap. with a surprise from the 20x30
tire.

Umm, depends what you're after.  If you need to push something or get a
lot of traction, then the deformable tires have better contact patches.
But when I'm making a robot that needs to move quickly and be able to
skid steer, well, less traction makes skid steer easier.  And tracks
have their own advantages, like when you need to crawl over obstacles,
etc.

so it looks like from now on we'll just see a lot  of super car and
motorcycle tires, for our contests.

hey, calum:  Do me a favour and ask Philippe do run all those tests
again but add RICE as one of the mediums.

:)

Chris