 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 7360
Re: rtl16: "do you have any enemies?"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 9 May 2003 15:02:22 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug writes:
Some days, you just have to laugh.

I think so.  My story isn't half as interesting or scary as Chris' but...
Today my cell phone rang at 7:45AM.  This is unusual, as I am usually asleep
at 7:45AM.  It was Charles, my coworker in Montreal, telling me the system
was down.  The system being our fleet management system, used by 1400 users,
including 20 companies outside Bell.

So, I page my DBA and sysadmins, and drive into work, where various managers
are calling me as I narrowly miss school children.

I get to work and there's about 20-30 people standing outside in a circle.
There's been a gas leak inside the building and it was evacuated.  So I'm
standing there outside the office, and the servers (we have a server garden
of about 10 Proliants) are inside.  Trapped by natural gas.

We get inside, and we realize the entire machine room has been shut down for
fire safety by the gas company/fire dept etc.  Which is why the system is
down.  Our environmental system is giving us some reset alarm condition.

And we find our poor little Compaq Proliant SQL server, which has a dead
CPU, which was causing an error condition on startup.  The machine was
waiting for us to bring it back up with an F2 to Continue.

Fortunately my sysadmin was smart enough to buy identical machines and is
swapping out the CPU daughtercard.  Which goes to show.  You can have
identical hardware, fault tolerant hot swap machines (Proliant ML570),
UPSes, AND a diesel generator, in an environmentally controlled room (built
for a System 360 mainframe in the 70's) and still, a gas leak, the fire
department, and a faulty processor board with a stupid BIOS feature can
bring you down.

I can't wait for dinner tonight.

Calum