 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 731
Re: YF23A Progress Photos Up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 02:17:20 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Eric Sophie writes:
Cool, how technical are you gonna get with the thrust vector system? I'd
like to see that!, Plus, you of course picked a great Subject! The YF-22 is
indeed a great Plane! Good luck! I'll add this to the great designs I'm
waiting to see completed!

P.S. Maybe we could take all our combined Lego and build a SR-77!

Thanks!  It's not much more than a wing layout right now but hopefully if I
can find more gray pieces... :)

Actually, I'm aiming to build the loser of the '91 Advanced Tactical Fighter
competition, the Northrop YF23A Black Widow II.  The YF23 didn't have a TV
system onboard in order to reduce the infrared stealth signature.  They
instead built this sort of diamond edged cooling trough that mixed engine
thrust with cool air.

The YF-22/F-22A is a really great design too, but the threads debating who
really should won the ATF fly off run quite long on rec.aviation.military.
I was always more a fan of the -23 because it looked cooler and was easier
to build (ie, I wouldn't have to build the thrust vectoring, or all the hard
angles on the Raptor) out of Lego.  Although in retrospect, the YF-22 might
be easier as the angles on the 23 are actually much more subtle.

What apparently made the YF-23A lose was a combination of lower
maneuverability, the fact the Lockheed team had demonstrationed the
launching of a AIM-9 Sidewinder, and that politically, Northrop already had
the B-2 contract and Lockheed had nothing except C-130 rebuilds.  The -23
also had a questionable trapeze missile configuration that the Air Force
thought might jam, preventing further AMRAAMs from deploying.

I'll probably go as far as getting the taileron sections to rotate as per
the prototype, plus a minifigure sized cockpit, ACES II, retracting landing
gear, the AMRAAM bay (as the AIM-9X/ASRAAM bay was never built into the
original prototypes, there's little info as to where they'd go).  I'm
actually looking for a good diagram of the BOTTOM of the airplane, so if
anyone can find a detailed photo, I'd really appreciate it.

I've got the landing gear figured out, and even where they'll stow into the
fuselage, so it' a matter of getting these shapes down.

Calum