 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6675
Re: How to Run a Double-Elimination Match
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:59:07 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jeff Elliott writes:

Let's say you have 8 competitors: A thru H. I'll use the abbreviation
"W1" to mean "winner  of match 1" and "L1" to mean "Loser of Match 1."

Okay.  We usually have anywhere from 8-12 entries, so that's not a bad guess
at all.

In general, since you eliminate someone each match, if you start with N
people, you play N-1 matches plus a consolation match.

That fits okay, because 7x3minutes is only 21 minutes and we have a total of
an hour to officially entertain, according to the schedule.

because they automatically beat their fake opponent.  (We may need to
modify this for Chris' bot)

:)

The end result is either 30 or 31 matches.  In general, If you've got N
competitors, it takes 2N or 2N+1 matches to finish, since each person
must lose twice to get knocked out.

Okay, so taking your assumption of eight entries, we're lookting at 17
matches, where 17x3 is 51 minutes.  That still fits, assuming we execute
each round on time.

Here's something I want to enforce.  Your machine must be running by 1:30PM
that day.  Otherwise it doesn't play.  No rushing back to fix it, no adding
new functionality.  If you're not ready when you call you, you're out.  We
need to execute out matches on time, none of this "are you ready for a game,
Bruce?" type stuff.

This is what we normally do: Everyone plays everyone.  This requires (N
x (N-1)) / 2 matches.  So, while it works for small numbers (7
competitors = 21 matches) it doesn't for large numbers (16 competitors =
120 matches)

We'll have to see if it's possible.  The reason why we like round robin is
because everyone gets to play everyone (which is fun) but also because it
demonstrates the range of design approaches against each other.  In a single
or double elim tree, you only get to play a few designs.  Round robin allows
every robot to experience the full phalanx of different ideas, which is core
to the group's approach in running contests.

That said, as you say, it takes forever.  I guess we'll just have to see how
many entrants we get.

I'll volunteer to be there to help run the matches :)

That's probably a good idea.  I'll volunteer to draw up the thing on a board
if you tell me how :)

Calum