 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6363
Re: Data Logging
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 2003 01:42:49 GMT

Clearly, Chris and Calum are easily impressed!

for me this is true... I am impressed by most things:

small shiney objects
all thing electronic
cool plumbing fixtures
the colour red

All I did was to use the RCX with a light sensor and a temp sensor to
determine when my hot water heater was in use and for how long. I programmed
the RCX to log the sensors once a minute for 24 hours.  Following that, I
uploaded the data to my pc and used Excel to graph it.  Very much like
watching the grass grow.

What did I learn?
1.      The burner on my water heater is active for 7 minutes every 5-6 hours
when there is no demand for hot water.  (Chris owes me a dollar, and refuses
to pay...some kind of convoluted logic / reason...I tried, but, I can’t
figure it out...that’s probably a good thing)

WRONG!!!!!  let me explain it again.....

what follows is paraphrased for brevity:

Bruce: " chris I want to control my water heater thermostat with the rcx to make it
lower the temp when I'm gone at work... is this safe (see attached picture.)  you
see Chris, the tank must cycle on and off all day, this is a waste. "

Chris " Wow, Bruce that is cool, it is safe too bad it is a waste of time cause your
water heater will not cycle on and off all day.  I'll bet if you do not use hot
water the system will not cycle on and off"

Bruce: "your on wise guy, I'll set up a temp sensor to log the heat from the chimney
and a light sensor to log the flame from the burner"

(day later)

Bruce: " HA chris you owe me $$ cause the burner cycles ONCE every 6.5 hours"

Chris."  Umm, NO, once EVERY 6.5 hours is NOT on and off!!!"

that in a nut shell was my weekend

2.      Chris thinks my showers are too long.

Bruce you own logs say that your showers are 11 min.

3.      Calum takes 13 minute baths

Calum is the only adult I know who will admit to a Bath over a shower.

4.      WE HAVE GOT TO FOCUS ON ROBOTS!!...much more of this and we’ll turn into
TRAIN guys.

Bruce

I agree.   Iain, and I are designing a robot to sort axles.  (that old problem)    I
have an idea for a step feeder and iain, said he could build it.   I cant wait to
see it.

;)

Chris