 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6234
Re: Train 4 Trainyard...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:02:59 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Jeff Elliott writes:
I kinda thought we'd put on new trains by setting them at the top of the
ramp and letting them zip down on their own.  It's called *rolling*
stock, right? :D

By all means, add a rail yard if you have the time and energy.  Right
now, I *think* Jeff VW has a couple of spare slightly-offsize modules
kindly donated by Matthias.  But we'll have to check with him first.

Will you be bringing the track for your modules?

My two odules have all the track bolted down and ready to go.  I was
referring to the box o' track I may bring to set up an impromptu railyard so
we have a place to store rolling stock 'n such.

Right now I only have one extra module, but someone wanted it for something.

I'll need at least 3 modules to set up a big enuf rail yard worthy of
'parkouts'.

I was thinking about putting a switch on the outer line on my module, right
before the curve, to connect to the rail yard, so the 3 railyard modules
would be at the 'bottom' of the layout (according to the map).  It'd be
quick, not pretty, but it would be a great place for storage.

Though I like the zipping down the hill idea :)

* * *

I managed to get another building done yesterday - a little trattoria in
one of the awkward curved lots.

http://extranet.telepres.com/staff/jeffe/altenburg/weekend/123-2360_IMG.JPG

(Other shots in
http://extranet.telepres.com/staff/jeffe/altenburg/weekend/ )

The angles of these buildings are kind of interesting.  The larger one
is set on the corners of a 5-12-13 right triangle, so it's rotated about
23 degrees relative to the plate.  The smaller building is on a 3-4-5
right triangle, so it's turned about 37 degrees from true.  (Using the
right triangles enabled me to still pin the building to the plates at
multiple points.)  As it turns out, that places the walls of the two
buildings about 7.91 studs apart right where I was putting the gate,
meaning it was easy to squeeze in an 8-long arched gateway into the
patio area.

I hope no one is going to try running anything larger than the club car
up there, because that's what the clearance is set for...

Anyway, I'm really, really running out of time now, so I expect most of
the rest of the buildings to be more filler-like.

Jeff E

The buildings look great!

Looking forward to Saturday.

Dave K

David Koudys wrote:

So I note after looking at the wonderful layout done by Jeff, that there is
no place to park all the rolling stock when not in use.

So we'll have to put on, and take off the trains when we want to change stuff.

But wait, says Dave, I have a box full of track that loves to take the form
of a rail yard.

But alas, all my modules are being used for the actual layout (2 by me and a
third as a spare for someone else)

So there's the dilemma--do we have enuf modules to make an impromtu yard?
Do we want one?

I could try to get 3 more modules built before the show--the tops are cut,
just have to slap the 1x2's on 'em.

Just wonderin'

Dave K