 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5762
5761  |  5763
Subject:
Taking the high road...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 21:42:18 GMT

Take the high road--don't get mired into the name calling and mud slinging...

The scenario:

Private parking spaces in a very small private lot in downtown Toronto.

I have been paying for a parking space in this lot since June. I only park
there on weekends when visiting the SO.

So it came to pass that on Sunday when I went out to my truck, there on my
windshied was a very nasty note from somebody. This person ranted about me
taking her spot, the spot that she paid for yada yada yada, threats to tow
my truck blah blah blah, the owner of the property specifically gave her
permission to park here, on and on and on (two peices of cardboard!), so
what was I do do?

Take the high road.

Since I didn't know who left me the message, nor did it really matter, I
called up the owner of the parking lot.

Let me describe this little parking lot to y'all--is a grass patch in the
middle of a bunch of houses, only accessible by a narrow alley--Can hold, at
most, 9 vehicles. Recently people have been parking there without permission
and/or haphazzardly, so the owner came over and actually painted dividers on
the fences and walls, and numbered them all. He did that last week--this I
did not realize. I showed up on Saturday, as usual, and parked where I've
been parking since June.

So I get this nasty note, which took me by surprise, and I called up the
owner to discuss the situation. Now friends, I could have gone on a tirade
about how I've been paying to park here since June--full price I may add,
even though I only use said parking space on weekends--and I do not deserve
nasty notes on my windshield by people so obviously in the wrong, for I was
there first, and I pay just as everyone else does.

But I didn't. First I asked the owner if I was paid up (always bring up the
money first, in case there was a mix-up). I then asked the owner what the
new plan was. He mentioned that the lots are numbered now and that it had
slipped his mind that I parked there--he only sees the lot on weekdays so he
never sees my truck. He assigned my spot to a new person. I asked him what
he wanted me to use now--he said take another spot--spot 8. It was free,
said he, so why not?

Well, my SO and others that were overhearing this conversation went into a
tizzy saying "Unjust! You were there first and that that spot was yours!!!".
I let that stuff wash over me and told the owner that spot 8 was fine. I
further asked him who had my old spot so that I could go and talk to them
and let them know that there was a failure of communication, that I was not
illegally parked, and that we can all just be friends now.

When the owner gave me the address, I realized that these new 'parkees' live
just outside the parking space, which also, coincidentally happens to have
the back yard with gate along parking space #8! So here goes me, over to the
house of the new 'parkees'. Turns out they weren't home so I left a note
with my name, number, and what this visit was in regards to.

When I get home, the roommates of my SO are going on about how I'm passive,
that I let people walk all over me, and that if it were them they'd raise a
holy stink about it. Whatever.

A few hours later I get a call on my phone. You probably know the
type--almost shrill, almost starting on the illegal parking, just waiting to
jump at the least provocation from me. But I took the high road once
again--I disarmed her with my charm. I mentioned that there was a failure of
communication with the lot owner, "You bet there was!! That's my spot and
I'm paying for it and you better not park there again!!" I could have gone
into the idea that I've been paying since June and that the owner had just
forgotten that I park there as well, yada yada yada, but where would it get
me? I mentioned that I had spoken with the owner, everythings worked out and
now I have parking space 8.

Pause.

I'm waiting for the pieces to fall into place.

"Spot 8 you say?"

"Yep. All worked out--you get to keep the two spots assigned to you and I
have my spot so now everyone's happy."

Pause.

"Would you consider making a swap?"

I'm just saying...

The air is mighty clear and fresh up here on the high road, away from all
that weeping and gnashing of teeth.