 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5591
Re: 4107 Basic Bricks Photo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 16:12:08 GMT

Calum Tsang wrote:

Hey folks,

I bought a pair of the 4107 1000 piece tubs.  They're pretty different than
the 3033 1200 piece tubs from before-about the same price ($19.99 at TRU
this week!) but the contents inside are quite varied.

Mmm, yes, I bought 2 this weekend.

-There's a lot less larger bricks-1x4, 2x4 especially.  These are pretty
useful for building strong Town walls, which is a pain.  There are no 1x8's,
2x6's at all.  JeffE mentions there's a lot less dots overall, even if the
piece count is about the same (1000 vs 1200).

I did the math this weekend, and left it at home.  But it comes down to
this: counting only basic bricks, the wall length you could build is is
the neighbourhood of 1700 studs for the 4107 and 3200 studs for the
3033.  If you count area (doubling the 2xN bricks), you get something
like 2100 studs^2 area for 4107 and 4500 for the 3033.

What this boils down to is that the 4107 bricks are *much* smaller on
average, and tend toward 1xN rathers than 2xN.

There are a small number of 2xN plates and 33 and 45 degree slop pieces,
but not really a large number.

The biggest difference, as Calum noted, is the colour range.  There are
enough (28) tan 1x1 bricks to allow me to build a few tan buildings,
which is great for those whose tan collection comes largely from Lego
Direct's stock of even-length bricks.

I should note I used the 4107 tub for the first time last night.

The tub, mind you - I haven't opened the plastic packs of pieces yet,
but I'd run out of tubs and the 4107 still comes in that eminently
useful rubbermaid-ish tub.

Oh - and don't forget that the 4107 comes with a booklet with "210
ideas" in it.  So if you buy ten tubs, you'll get 2100 ideas along with
them, which can't be bad...

Jeff E