 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5587
5586  |  5588
Subject:
4107 Basic Bricks Photo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 03:48:46 GMT

Hey folks,

I bought a pair of the 4107 1000 piece tubs.  They're pretty different than
the 3033 1200 piece tubs from before-about the same price ($19.99 at TRU
this week!) but the contents inside are quite varied.

I know the 4107 part distribution has been posted for months now, but I
never realized just how it was mixed until I really opened one up and sorted
the bricks around.  To give myself a visual representation of how the pieces
are distributed, I found myself stacking the pieces together:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/tsangc/Misc/4107basic.jpg

Some comments:

-The colour range is different.  The 3033 was the five basic colours plus
green.  The main four were equal, while green and black were less than the
others.  The 4107 incorporates brown (ick), tan, grey and dark grey.  This
is probably the best reason to buy this tub: access to these colours in
truly accesible quantities (in comparison to buying them via the incredibly
overpriced Shop@Home).

-There's a lot less larger bricks-1x4, 2x4 especially.  These are pretty
useful for building strong Town walls, which is a pain.  There are no 1x8's,
2x6's at all.  JeffE mentions there's a lot less dots overall, even if the
piece count is about the same (1000 vs 1200).

-Slopes and plates.  There's not a lot of them (that's what Slave1's are
for) but they're welcome and a nice little treat.  I didn't have them in
this photo.  There's also 8 1x2 trans light blue pieces which are appreciated.

So.  The new tub is different-not worse, not better.  Who needs to buy this
tub?  Well, since you can't 3033's anymore, I suppose everyone.  However,
the 4107 is strong for Town especially-for the new colours.  For mosaics, it
depends-the 4107 doesn't come with a lot of area (in dots) due to the lack
of larger pieces.  If you're the type that likes doing large posterized
swaths of colour-the way Mario and I have been doing them, then this isn't
as good.  Each bucket of 4107 will give you less coverage than one 3033.

There's also a new tub, that has 200 pieces, 7831.  They're now on skids in
Walmart for around $6.50 IIRC.  Biggest news is the inclusion of orange
pieces.  Enough of them to make me avoid it completely:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/sets/7831-1?withpics=yes

Calum