 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5545
Re: DAVE!! how was the 8880??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:22:12 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:
   well?

you've kept us in suspense long enough.  we all know how BAD enterprise
was last night....  Come on, it was almost as bad as the 3 Vulcan's
crash landing on earth story from 2 weeks ago...

so i guess you have fully built the beast.

Chris

I get home last night after work, cleared my 'puter desk, turned on the
telly to 'Everyone Loves Raymond' and proceeded to open all the plastic bags
into separate holders all over the desk...

That was about 6:45 p.m.

At around 11:15 p.m., the car was together.  Not a record breaker to be
sure, but I had fun.  It was a joy to build a Technic model that's not
pre-separated into little bags with numbers on them, and it was great to see
'old' 24t gears 'n such, and no studless beams to be found!!  What a rush
that was!

Paging thru the LEGO service pack brochure that came with the 8880 made me
weep for the 'golden days' of service packs (5120, 5235, 5118...) just
beautiful--why oh why did I have to have my buying dark ages during the
'90's??  Oh right, I was in college and consistantly broke--fergot about that.

Now I went over the directions thoroughly when I reached a certain point,
for I was missing one (1) 1x2 grey plate--Grrr!  That was the very first
time *ever* in the history of Dave and buying LEGO sets that he was *ever*
missing a piece.

At the end of the night, I had 9 pieces left over (as with most Technic
sets), being friction pegs 'n such, and 1 chain link--no 1x2 any colour
plate (so I know I did nothing wrong ;) )

Then I looked at the car.

Well, is nice, and will prob'ly stay together for a bit.

The 4 wheel drive/steering/shocks is really nifty, and the gear shift is
first rate.  The car is not smooth on the motion, though.  I made the
gearing as smooth as possible at every step, but it just doesn't glide when
pushed the way the 8448 (or any other super car I own) does.

I put the 8880, 8448, and the 8466 side by side--should take a pic...

Now I'm inspired to try to make the other supercars I own, though the pieces
for said vehicles are scattered thru many many bins and would take an
extraordinary effort to get them together--maybe if I have some free time
after the next competition (in which I kick everyone's heinie).

So for me, the 8880 is the *second best* supercar out there.

And I am *very* happy I got one :)  Maybe the 8880 is the one I leave at my
desk at work.

Dave K