 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5457
Re: Thoughts on a Ship/Rail cargo area for altenburg
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 2002 22:31:13 GMT

I like this idea too.  I thing it would be cool, especially if it can be
automated in some way.

I was thinking, instead of placing the docks on the inside of the loop
how about placing them on the outside.  If we moved the docks to the
west side of the layout it might fit a little better.  So long as Calum
doesn't mind having his train station by the water front.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/miscellaneous/altenburgdocklands.gif

My thinking is, this makes it like the Niagara region.  So the West side
is like Lake Erie and the east side is like Lake Ontario.  The Damn sits
between them.

If you get ambious Jeff, you could build special legs for the two
modules that sit outside the main loop that would let you lower them by
4 or 5 blocks.  This would let you have a lower water level then ground
level of the rest of the layout.

Derek

Jeff Elliott wrote:
Jeff,

Looks brilliant.  Have you thought about building docks/channels
left-to-right?  From the map, it looks like you're doing an "alongside"
pier.  Either is good; alongside gives you more space, but channels
allow you to build cranes which span a ship.

I'd be happy to turn some of my Pirate hulls into bulk carriers for
you.  Post that cargo container spec so I can build some cargo ships!

I've been a bit busy with a project this last week, but once I'm done
I'll try to get the ball rolling on the Train4 thing :)

Jeff E

Jeff Van Winden wrote:

Over the past while I have been rying to figure out what to do for train 4...

After watching a show on crains on TLC I had a thought about building a
Ship/Rail cargo area. I was thinking of having a large (working?) crane for
unloading vessels, and placing the containers on container trucks. Also I
would have an additional Crain to load cargo onto the train (via a spur line??)

The problem I was finding with this was trying to fit it into the Altenburg
'model'. Due to the dam we know have two elevations of water. there is the
upstram area which is located in the center of the modules, and we have the
down stream area (the outside of the modules) this means that the shipping
area would be inside the center? right? If any one can come up with a better
layout using a spur line or two let me know...

Here are some links for what I was thinking...
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jvwinden/Train4/altenburg.gif
and the track designer files
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/jvwinden/Train4/altenburg.tdl

Your input would be greatly appricated, if the powers that be (Derek, Jeff
E, Calum) do not want suck a huge area to be used by this I will think of
something else to build...

Jeff VW