 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5368
5367  |  5369
Subject:
Friday Dinner and the absence of Dave
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 14 Sep 2002 17:54:38 GMT

So here I am at work in Burlington at 10:55 a.m., looking forward to dinner
at Mels.  However, by 11:00 a.m. on Friday the 13th (go figure), I was on
the road to Windsor, Ontario (3 hours away).

It seems that the issues the branch was strugging with since Tuesday finally
needed some sort of resolution, and since folks didn't understand that the
issue was a *network* issue instead of an *OS* issue (as I had been saying
since Tuesday), and that the issue had nothing to do with the Canadian
Region IS staff and, rather, had everything to do with whomever's
responsible for the frame connection, and since it was only me who thought
it was a network connection problem, I took it upon myself to drive out to
the branch to verify where the actual issue was.

Then, of course, I spent 6-8 hours on the phone with network support, who
kept on insisting that the issue was one of OS, even though I disconnected
the *entire branch* from the router, and plugged my laptop directly into the
router--my laptop which, as I repeated numerous times, was working fine at
10:55 a.m. back in Burlington.  This issue has nothing to do with security,
domain controls or any other *OS* specific problems, for we connect to
multiple servers and we don't actually use alotta Trust/Domain specific
security (for the big wigs can't get together and come up with a
comprehensive way of doing that), or all our branches would be having the
same issue (as Calum remembers, we Ghost all our systems, and pretty much
have the same hardware and software across 500 systems...)

With no resolution at 10 p.m. in Windsor, the network guys said we should
start again on Monday.  So I drove home.  Got home around 12-1 a.m.

Before I drove home, and not wanting one of our biggest branches to be left
with no WAN connectivity, I decided to do something radical and installed a
56k ext modem on their Terminal Server (a modem, I might add, that was lying
in the back room under tons of dust and paper and now it's installed on a
$13k server--kinda ironic), and got their dial-up working so at least they
can connect to our WAN thru dial-up, so that next week the branch people can
get their e-mail, and perhaps transmit their payroll information so our
drivers can get paid.

Of course the branch is connecting to our WAN just fine (albeit *very* slow)
thru dial-up.  That right there, to me, tells me that the issue lies
somewhere between Windsor's Cisco 1600 router and Burlington's router--"Oh
but the routing tables are just fine!  It's not the routers!"  Well, it's
something between Windsor and Burlington.  Eh, what do I know?  The first
time I heard the term RPC was 2 days ago.

So that's the beginning of my weekend.

But this is why they pay me the big bucks.

The only good news is that we get $.35/km--Windsor is quite nice for getting
some additional LEGO buying cash.

So John, sorry I wasn't there but I'm going to call you and maybe get out to
Toronto tomorrow (Sunday).

Take care all and I'm sorry I wasn't there.

Dave K.