 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5240
Re: Altenburg train clearances:
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 21:45:35 GMT

Jeff Elliott wrote:

The Altenburg (upper) loop; this will have clearance for a metroliner at
most.  6 wide trains (possibly with small clips protruding from the
sides).  Clearances away from turns need only be the width of the track
sleepers (8).  Someone enterprising who possesses a metroliner can
figure out exact stud clearances on the turns. Overhead clearance is for
a metroliner, but be careful if you put something over the track that it
doesn't look out-of-scale.  If Derek gets ambitious, we may see
catenaries.

I'll do a clearance diagram for the Metroliner.  The big question will
be whether we allow the club car or not.  I noticed it cuts the inside
of the corners much more then the other cars.  I'll do a diagram that
demonstrates both.

I've been looking at catenaries designs and I think I can make them look
right.  Since the patagraph is not spring loaded we would set it to run
just below the cantenary.  The two main problems with them are they take
up a lot of space on at the side of the track, probably an extra two
studs, and the corners are so sharp they will be tricky to string up
properly.

The ramps:  these will probably have lots of clearance, but since
there's no call to require it, assume metroliner clearance.

The ramps might as well have the same rules as Altenburg, since you
can't go up or down them without going through Altenburg.

As for the sleepers themselves:  I'm thinking of calling for plate +
tile clearance on top of the sleepers.  This allows us to build
nice-looking road crossings.  Derek, anyone else, what are your
under-car clearance requirements like?  We may relax this on the outer
loop if necessary.

Well I have to do a major redesign on the bogies for my tilting train.
As several people noticed it did a nasty upwards lunge when it hit a
switch for the first time.

As far as having a plate and a tile on top of the sleepers it depends on
how much higher this is then the rails on a switch or crossover.
However since I have to redo the bogies anyway I'll take this into account.

Derek