 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5239
5238  |  5240
Subject:
Altenburg train clearances:
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 20:42:42 GMT

Yet more rtlTrain4 info.

There are effectively 4 major regions of track in the layout:

The Altenburg (upper) loop; this will have clearance for a metroliner at
most.  6 wide trains (possibly with small clips protruding from the
sides).  Clearances away from turns need only be the width of the track
sleepers (8).  Someone enterprising who possesses a metroliner can
figure out exact stud clearances on the turns. Overhead clearance is for
a metroliner, but be careful if you put something over the track that it
doesn't look out-of-scale.  If Derek gets ambitious, we may see
catenaries.

The Lower, outside loop:  We're using the Go train / Eleura car
clearances, as have been posted here a few times.  Turns, especially the
tight ones, need very wide clearances for the sweep of those beasts.
Straightaways need 10-wide clearances. (one stud either side of
sleepers)

The Lower, inside loop:  Here's the sticky one.  I think we can relax
the width, height, or both.  We'll definitely relax the turn sweep
clearances.

The ramps:  these will probably have lots of clearance, but since
there's no call to require it, assume metroliner clearance.

As for the sleepers themselves:  I'm thinking of calling for plate +
tile clearance on top of the sleepers.  This allows us to build
nice-looking road crossings.  Derek, anyone else, what are your
under-car clearance requirements like?  We may relax this on the outer
loop if necessary.

Jeff E