 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5181
Re: rtlToronto11: Wrap up and Photo request
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 16:24:12 GMT

1. John Guerquin and Ivan Louch-A two piece entry with a carrier robot which
deploys a trapezoidal, pneumatically actuated four bar motion bridge and a
smaller robot which drives over and literally turns on itself while driving
to the center.  A rake raises the flag.

2. Rob Stehlik-A robot that deploys its own springloaded scissor bridge
which it drives across the gap on.  The robot then drives over to the flag
and lifts it with a V shaped frame.

3. Doug Carlson-A robot that drives out to the edge, then extends a double
scissor driven arm stablized with small castors across the gap.  A rake on
the end lifts the flag.
Many thanks to all who participated, spectated, or organized. It was a
fun event to participate in. What really surprised me was that we had
designs from each of the three major categories and each category
finished in the top three - I really had expected the scissor-lift
robots to be the likely winners and was all but certain of it after
seeing Chris' entry :-)

The three categories summarized:

1: The rugged outdoorsman individualist - led by Rob Stehlik:
"I don't need no help from noooo-body! I'll build my own bridge, get
my own flag and don't anyone get in my way!

2: The big-brother/little sister duos - led by John Guerquin and Ivan
Louch: "I'll get the flag but I'm too scared of that chasm to cross it
all by my self!"

3. The long-arm-of-the-(Murphy's)-law Goliaths - led by Doug Carlson:
"I'm too wimpy to even try and cross the gap! I'll just throw an arm
out there and hope I hit something*!"

I really did think the long arm approach was going to walk away with
all the marbles simply because they could be deployed so much faster.
My major doubts to this approach stemmed from the fact that my early
attempt at a scissor-lift had shown me that they couldn't be aimed at
a distance with any reliablity. Granted, I was well aware that this
instability in my own prototype had a lot to do with the fact that I
didn't have enough pieces available to build a more stable double-arm.
Most of my technic is still tied up in Space Shuttles, Code-Pilot dump
trucks, a few lesser models and my two Project-X machines that are
still on my desk (I know: get over it and move on...)

The sheer speed of Robs machine and the smoothness of the bridge
crossing amazed me, as did the concept of keeping the bridge inside
the robot while crossing instead of the robot inside the bridge - and
I thought I had the lightest bridge going.

Ivan's idea of solving the navigation problem by turning the wheels
with the robot instead of turning the robot with the wheels was
absolutely brilliant - I loved it!

A great job by all the winners!

Matthias Jetleb

.... and then we have Chris....

* this really only applied to Chris' robot.

Chris: how is it that after badgering the rest of us to build a robot
with every second breath at the dinner a week ago you turn up with the
scissor arm from a cyber-slam and the drive system from a cybermaster
with an RCX holding them together? That took you what? Four hours?
After seeing your over-the-top X-bot, one comes to expect more from
"The Pyro Guy". You have a reputation to live up to. I mean please..
you were beaten by an old geezer with 30 year old parts and almost no
technic building experience - you should have been able to beat me
with one hand tied behind your back and the other changing a diaper.
;-)

All in good fun - I have to use up my bragging rights when I can get
them.