 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5173
5172  |  5174
Subject:
rtlToronto11: Wrap up and Photo request
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 03:02:22 GMT

Hi folks,

You know, I had honestly no idea we'd have twelve robots today, and that's
amazing.  This group continues to astound me. Thanks to all who brought a
robot, tried to build a robot, or just plain showed up to watch and
participate.  As always, it's not if you won, but that you tried.

The winners are:

1. John Guerquin and Ivan Louch-A two piece entry with a carrier robot which
deploys a trapezoidal, pneumatically actuated four bar motion bridge and a
smaller robot which drives over and literally turns on itself while driving
to the center.  A rake raises the flag.

2. Rob Stehlik-A robot that deploys its own springloaded scissor bridge
which it drives across the gap on.  The robot then drives over to the flag
and lifts it with a V shaped frame.

3. Doug Carlson-A robot that drives out to the edge, then extends a double
scissor driven arm stablized with small castors across the gap.  A rake on
the end lifts the flag.

John/Ivan take home a 3800 Ultimate Builders Set courtesy Angelo Castellano,
a local Lego official dealer, and Rob wins a 7194 UCS Yoda, provided by Lego
Direct.  As you can tell, there were many different approaches to solving
this design problem, and a number of novel solutions were demonstrated.
Some a little tamer than others:  Robert Ziman's bowling pin like machine
fell across the gap and then spun around catching the flag with the neck of
the robot; Derek Raycraft demonstrated a rollercoaster like unit which flung
the RCX over the gap.  But overall, a lot of great ideas and a pile of fun!

Several special guests joined us today-Doug Carlson drove up from the
States, as did John Barnes of HiTechnic.  Mario Ferrari, acclaimed author,
visited all the way from Italy, and Ralph Hempel of pbForth fame came by
from Owen Sound.  Okay, so the latter isn't so exotic.

Here's the usual request for photos.  I took almost no photos today, so you
guys really need to help me out.  If it's under 5MB, email me the files
directly.  If you have piles (ie, 5 to 120MB) email me and we'll figure out
how to get them to me somehow (ie, FTP, web etc).

Calum