 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4706
Re: Hey everyone
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 22 Jun 2002 20:07:30 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Eric DeGiuli writes:
Next year I'm going to the University of Toronto, so I should be able to
check out some events, even if I can't participate.  I'm taking
Math/Computer Science, and I'm in University College.  (anyone have any
advice/things I should know about UoT/UC?)  This summer I may build a few
things in between working, so I'll post here if I do.  Until then, I'll
return to lurkdom.

Hey Eric!

We look forward to your stuff, the stuff you brought to show was really
interesting!

UC--It's probably the better if not the best of the Arts and Science
colleges.  Good students there, and less stuffy than Trin.  Don't buy the
largest meal plan, you'll never eat your way out of it.  You'll be taking
your friends out for dinner and lunch at the caf IIRC unless they've changed
the plan.  Food isn't half bad there, BTW, unlike the evil res I lived at
Western for three days.

Pure math is a relatively small class (like 7 people per year), CS on the
other hand, is relatively large in comparison.  You'll probably find UC is
more than anything a social part of your university career-the CS and Math
departments are the academic drivers.  The colleges do provide courses on
their own and priority into them, but the areas of study are relatively
narrow (ie, religious studies at Vic).

If you're going into res, and you have a roommate (ie, not a single private
room), you might want to (gasp) leave the Lego at home or just bring some of
it (ie, no train modules for you! :)  There's scant space anyways, at least
from what I remember of Mulock House.

Good luck, study hard, and have fun.  The best part of the A&S degree is
that you have a choice to learn and study things YOU want to do (unlike us
poor fools in Engineering).  FYI, I am officially required by the University
to tell you that first year is a "significant change for incoming high
school students" so...yeah.  Whatever.  :)

Calum