 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4506
Re: I need to score.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 04:42:49 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ivan Louch writes:

point for touching the flag. And since the flag is no longer dead-center on
the middle table it is highly unlikely for the other bot to even score the
touch point, let alone lift the flag.
1 - 0 battery-box flail wins.

I'm of the belief that the flag should be in a known (read, center of center
island) place.  Iain brought up a very good point, which is that no one
really knows how to do search and destroy very well at all.  Considering the
size of the table, the robots and the flag, it's more possible to have the
unit bumped.

But as for your statement, you could make a flail that extended out
the...three or four feet, but that would be a challenge in itself as well to
maintain rigidity among other things, not to mention a telescoping flail.
Also, if it whipped around violently, the Safety-clause plus the Mob-rule
clause in all rtlToronto events:

"Robots must be safe-physical safety (ie, not firing bricks violently,
arcing batteries etc)"

IMHO this competition should be more of a CTF-drug race-with obstacles,
rather than another rtl10 stationary bot showdown. So I feel the bots should
not be allowed to grab the flag from the starting table. It should be
necessary to cross the gap (any means possible, doesn't have to be a bridge)
before any attempts to lift the flag are made.

I think from a spirit standpoint, a robot that made an attempt at pulling
the flag up from the home island is just as difficult and clever as one that
crosses.

First bot to cross the gap: +1 pts
Bot successfully makes it to the other table +1 pt
Bot lifts the flag +2 pts
Bot knocks the flag over or pushes it off the table: -2 pts

This way we reward fast, but yet accurate and smart bots. A bot that speeds
through the gap and accidentally full-throttles into the flag w/o detecting
it, will lose (1-0) to a bot that simply crosses the gap. Or they can tie
(0-0) if the 2nd bot never makes it over the gap.

I think this works out quite fair for a 'mobile bots' competition when you
consider that, successfully picking up the flag should be the far most
priority, yet speed and precision is also to be rewarded.

I agree with this EXCEPT to the last statement.  We have to decide whether
or not staying on the first table is a valid way of playing.  If we believe
that it is truly a mobile bridge/hopper/spanner competition, then sure.  But
if not, then we shouldn't penalize those who choose this strategy.

I'm of the opinion we should never force a design solution by rules.  Is
rtl11 a game about:

"Build a bridge building robot"

OR

"Build a robot that can deal with something on the other side of a gap"

Calum