 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4503
Re: I need to score.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 01:36:50 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Chris Magno writes:
much like the last game project X, a clear way to score contestant who
have not fully completed the challenge  needs to be discovered.

Existing rtlToronto scoring has usually been:

For BOTH robots:
0 points for the loser
1 point each for a tie
2 points for the winner
ridicule for anyone showing up wearing a double windsor.

One possible case is where a robot A goes across but knocks the flag down,
either by mismanipulating ir or by hitting it accidentally on the side.  Is
this a tie or a win?  If it's a tie, we gave given Robot B a point for doing
nothing.  Yet if we call it a win, then we encourage robots to sweep with a
big smacker arm that topples the flag, without trying to lift or even
cross/extend for that matter.

So here's a new way of scoring:

For EACH robot:
0 points by default
1 point for touching the flag.  That means you have to at least cross or
extend something to touch the flag.
1 point for lifting the flag.

That way, a robot that crosses and lifts still gets 2, yet in situation
between Robot X (a poorly built one that can't even cross) and Robot Y (an
unreliable robot that can cross but can't repeatedly lift the flag), Y gets
to lift the flag and still get a point for making the effort.

Calum