 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4463
Re: Scientific American Frontiers - Robotics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 03:19:43 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Iain Hendry writes:
Thanks for the tip-I missed the robot soccer section, but saw the • submarines
and the tipping game.  I think the tipping game is really cool.  We should
contemplate a similar game like that for rtl13.  We can even call it
"rtlToronto13: Balance of Power" or something cheesy like that.

What is the tipping game?!

The tipping game (apparently called the Tiltilator) was used in a MIT
Mechanical Engineering course called 2.007 (sort of like the 6.270 course
that spawned the Miniboard and eventually the Mindstorms product).  The game
has this scale like thing which has a tower with a ball on it.  There's a
bar which is about six feet long and is pivoted in the center.  The idea is
that two robots start on each side and they must make the entire structure
tip to their side.

Contestants shown on the show built wedges to push the other robot off,
telescoping counterweights, vertical jacks to push onto the floor, grabbers
to grab at the carpet to tug their end down etc.  The entire game is run
remotely using what appears to be pneumatic control.

Check out these webpages, they're student pages but they explain it pretty well:

http://web.mit.edu/acdefeo/www/overview.html
http://web.mit.edu/klrock/www/robot/robot.html

Anyways, we could do something similar, but without remote control.  Just a
2x4 (MIT had machined aluminum, but I think rtlToronto members need to give
Home Depot smore business this year) on a pivot.  At the end of 30 seconds,
whoever keeps their end down wins.  Fully autonomous operation.

(Side note:  Is it me, or MIT has a hell of a lot more money than U of T? :)
Back in MIE241 we got like...two blocks of Styrofoam SM and some plastic
tubing.  The rest we bought ourselves.  Grrr.  Which both pale in comparison
to the video our professor showed of these Japanese engineering
competitions, where they build these human powered flying machines out of
composite materials and Faberge eggs etc.)

Calum