 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3953
Re: Duck factory
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 01:28:40 GMT

Rebel Transcanner wrote:

I had to rip it nearly completly appart to scrape enough motors together to
build my soccer-playing robot for Friday. So it's siting there with axes
hanging all over supported only by wires. Not pretty. :-/

I can see this being a bit of a problem. :-)  I'm not going to get a soccer
robot together by Friday. :-(  I just don't have the time, and all my RCXs are
setup for Lejos and I've never used NQC and I don't have enough time to even
figure out how to download a default soccer program even if I did manage to
build a simple player or two.

I doubt I will have any motivation to put it back together. Just as Tijs (my
delta robot) is still siting in the box on the floor. I haven't touched it.

At least get Tijs working, that was a cool looking robot.  I got Tima running
fine now.  A little to late though.  Rob's suggestion of adding a light beside
the light sensor helped a lot.

If this were an actual contest, I'm guessing you wouldn't be allowed
parallel assembly.

Why?

I'm thinking if you get a mechanism that builds ducks, then you could duplicate
that mechanism and run them side by side and double your speed.  Then it would
just be a contest to see who has the most Lego build robots with because you
could just keep duplicating your mechanism.

But its not a contest, so I'm thinking if I do get my self going on building a
duck factory, I'll make it look cool more the build fast. :-)  Maybe we could
have a duck economy for Train4.

How about feeding the parts in, are you using a
hopper or are you cartridge feeding them?

I had planned on using a chute. I'd load it up with a fixed number of parts
before starting the automation. Just before I tore it appart, it was running
0.8 sec. per cycle. FAST.

I don't know why I couldn't think of the word chute.  This is probably the
method I'll chose.  It would be very hard to hopper feed those parts.

I have a ~1.5 MByte MPEG of it cycling with two of the eventual 3 pick and
place robots at that speed, but unfortunatley I'm not in the mood to upload
it / deal with Execulink breathing down my neck and charging me extra money
for space useage. Sigh.

Don't talk to me about Execulink.  My parents are using them in London.  What a
pain in the ***.  Back in the fall, about two weeks before they announced their
wonderful Spam blocking service, my parents started getting flooded with spam.
Really nasty spam too.  The great thing about this service is you have to pay
extra for it, at least on the plan my parents are using.  Now I don't know what
happened, but my parents email address has only been given out to a very select
group of people.

Derek