 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 368
367  |  369
Subject:
What I learned @ the robot meet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 17:40:51 GMT

OK, in some other thread I was bestowing the virtues of many minds makes
for a smarter group.

to that end I would like to ask everyone to post here.(includeing the
lurkers)   My question to the group is:

What lego related stuff did you learn at the event.

I'll start.

On my summer vacation I went to wonderland and....... NO WAIT wrong
essay.  (sorry)

--------first thing I learned ------------

Jeff E.  explained to me that i can use a simple NQC routine  to convert
a decimal # to binary so that it is easier to debug your program.

for example, when I was programing my robot, i could not figure out why
my bot was mis-counting how many blocks were in the hopper.  so i had to
use a "playsystemsound" command for every value in one of the
variables.  it was possible that i was counting MANY beeps to find out
what the value was.  If that number was turned into binary then all i
had to do was write down the high low beeps as 0 & 1 and low and behold
i can output any size # in a short period of time.

----------new thing I learned---------

Phil S. explained that to get the most out of a hand powered pneumatic
pump i should put both ends of the pump on counter rotating 40 tooth
gears.  this (he says) off sets the stroke to give a complete press of
the entire cylinder and thus the FULL AMOUNT of air from the pump.

--------------- other stuff i learned----------

never code your robot to always react to do the same thing in a sensor
event.

I'll explain - i had 2 touch sensors in the front of the bot.  when the
left sensor was pressed the bot would back up and turn right and vise
versa for the other sensor.  this is ok, until your robot gets stuck in
a corner and just bounces back and forth for the rest of the game.  the
solution came from Dave. S ( I think)  and that is to make your robot
always turn in the same direction.  ergo, any front touch event makes
the robot turn in revers and go left.  this worked well for me when i
re-programed my robot.

a follow up to this would be to go back to the first way i did things
and add some code to watch out for the left right left right corner
situation.  then i can fully utilize the cybermaster touch sensors and
still not get stuck in a corner.

------------ end ideas -----------

I'm sure there were MANY more ideas that may seem basic to people but
are genius to others.  NOW, its your turn.  Please share with the
group.  It may seem like a basic thing to you but even if just one other
person in the group had that problem and you post your solution then we
all grow.

now, I'll shut up and play lego, I've got a hand pump and some 40t gears
calling my name.

Chris
Lego Walker now @
www.members.home.net/cmagno/technics/index.htm