 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3396
Re: Dual IR tower output
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2002 16:20:51 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Martin Legault writes:
Here's a dumb question.  Does anyone know if I attach two IR towers with a Y
splitter on the serial port that both towers will transmit?

I want to guarantee transmission across a playfield from two or more towers
for this rtl10.1SP2 RobotSoccer event...

Calum

Hi Calum,

nice try, but you migth have some trouble.

first the IR tower like any RS-232 equipment also transmit back to the
computer,

It migth work if you split only the signal going from computer to IR Tower

the problem that migth arise is if the RCX need to send info back to the
computer witch is likely to be the case, and it is facing the IR tower not
fully connected, your computer won't ear it.

another way to do it, could use some electronic to make the connection back to
the computer, and it would work.

It'd be difficult - because the tower "powers down" after inactivity, the
computer needs to "ask" it whether it's alive before sending data. And if it's
not, no data will be sent. If you look at the firmdl & dll programs from legOS,
you'll see this.

The only way I can think around it would be to have each one connected to a
separate port, and develop a program to talk to both. Not an easy task, though.

Okay, but I only want to send-the BBRC software only sends AFAIK, so I
wonder if that's still an issue.  What you're saying is that the tower
interactive on initialization with the host PC-I wonder of this is the case
with BBRC.  Is the IR "alive" done using say the DTR line on the serial
port, or is it actually interactive (ie, some bit of a transmission block
checks, and a return block is sent back) with the PC inband...

I guess there's only one way to find out...

(Mario, break out the crimper!)

Calum