 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3244
3243  |  3245
Subject:
RC robosoccer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 22:03:59 GMT

Hi everyone,
After reading Calums post about using Manas in the next robotics
competition, it got me thinking. I do like the idea of an RC competition,
but lets forget the Manas. Check out this link:
http://www.battlebricks.com/rc/index.jsp
These guys have figured out how to a bunch of RCX's using one computer, one
IR tower, and a bunch of gamepads. Each robot is allocated a group of the IR
messages they can use. I like this because you can build the robot yourself,
as opposed to the pre-fab Manas.
As for the game, this site also has some GREAT game ideas:
http://www.battlebricks.com/competitions.jsp
Have a close look... we have had some similar ideas in our group :)
I especially like the non-destructive games.(Chris, go drive your Manas into
a brick wall :)  I would really like to try the robotic soccer game. We
could specify an standard size for the ball, and play the game in teams of
two or more. The robots on a team could be designed for different abilities:
forward, defense, goalie, etc. The arena could consist of a boundary laid
out on the floor. With an RC competition like this, it would be much more
fun for the audience to watch, and more fun for the drivers. Autonomy is
incredibly difficult, so lets take a break for a while :) One thing we would
have to verify is how reliable this method is, and the range you can get
with the IR. Seems like the guys at battlebricks got it working pretty well
though. Since they just finished a robosoccer event, they could probably
provide lots of useful advice, and point out any major problems they had...

If this idea doesn't fly, I would love to do projectX again. Maybe with a
6x6 grid:) Maybe in 3 dimensions:)

Rob