 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3178
3177  |  3179
Subject:
High speed timelapse
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 15:15:20 GMT

Hi folks,

Here's something fun to check out:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/nglcl/demorend.mpg
(5MByte, MPEG1)

I videotaped myself building a factory building in my train3 layout for
about 30 minutes (I could only find a blank 60 minute Hi8 tape, which
equates out to 30 minutes of Digital8).  I then found an old Sony VTR remote
and used the 2x function, which they've left in the camera without a button
on the outside.  So I played back the 30 minutes as 15 minutes, already
doubled into the machine.  (Pinnacle Systems DC30Plus MotionJPEG NLE card)
In Premiere, I then sped the clip up by 3000%, reducing the clip to 30
seconds.  I rerendered to hardware MJPEG, then rerendered to Cinepak, then
into MPEG1 encoding.  It's been encoded in very low resolution MPEG1,
there's a lot of compression artifacting going on.

I intend to keep taping myself building this factory, from different
perspectives.   A lot of the time in this clip was devoted to positioning
the building as per rtlToronto requirements-the sheet of paper you see me
making marks and drawings on is a printout of Derek Raycraft's clearance
needs for his GO Train model.  I'll get closeups of the bin of pieces, the
walls going up etc.  Enjoy.

Calum