 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3059
3058  |  3060
Subject:
Belleville, Re: Pricing Tour -- Where are the sales?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 05:47:15 GMT

In lugnet.loc.ca, Jeff Van Winden writes:
Hey Calum,

your just scoping out the local stores in belleville in case you move
there....

Not to say I'd ever pick a career move based on Lego:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=lego+%22industrial+engineer%22+job+group:rec.toys.lego&hl=en&rnum=1&selm=2hqrau%24i9k%40usenet.INS.CWRU.Edu

(note the date too, a year before I graduated from high school!)

But yeah, I did scope out the Lego selection there, and it's pretty darned
scarce.  They have a TRU there that's medium well stocked, though the TRUs
in Toronto carry much more.  The Quinte Mall has a Winners and a Sears, I
did buy a Droid Escape at that Winners there for $6.99.  Across the street
is a Zellers, it has one of the LARGEST toy sections I've ever seen
(comparable to the toys at Square One Walmart), but it's not any better than
the Lego section at my Zellers.  Not a lot of stuff overall.

I think we're very very fortunate in Toronto.  Not only do we have the
cheapest Lego (at least in my sampling of the US, Australia, the UK, Hong
Kong, Germany, AND Denmark) in the world, we also happen to have all the
clearance places in the country too (Sears, Venture (well, up until like
97)) AND the weirdo educational stuff (Moyers when it was around, Spectrum
Ed) AND the outlets (Cookstown, St Jacobs) all in the GTA.  Well, maybe they
have clearance stuff elsewhere in Canada too.  But the GTA is where it's at
for cheap Lego.

Bellville... isn't that a lego theme???

I've actually tried very hard to spell both correctly.  The Lego girly theme
of pink and evil is BELville, the small Ontario town midway between Kingston
and Toronto featuring a Procter and Gamble factory, a frozen food industry
and our favourite global telecom and networking firm is BELLEville.

What's cool is a number of the staff at our Belleville office like Lego and
had heard all about my Lego collection before I even took my first business
trip out there.  I guess word spreads when you have a giant mosaic of the
company logo, Lego models of company products, a Supercar II, Search Sub,
UCS XWing, train layout and 8235 Front End Loader at your cubicle.

Calum