 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 303
Re: ddk
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:24:23 GMT

On another very important note, my 'bot's coming along--on track for Feb. • 17.
How's yours?
Wondering.

My stacker is somewhat unchanged in principle, but I have renovated the
drivetrain and tweaked it a bit. There are some frustrating problems inherent
with the design, but I don't have the time or energy to try and fix them. What
I would really like to do is start building an entirely new stacker with my new
RIS that I just got at future shop for $120.

I've given up on tring to be sneaky.  i had plans..... i had DREAMS!!!!
visions of spring loaded lego boobietraps...... (SIGH)

I can relate to this! I had dreams of a super stacker based on pneumatics. Me
an Iain were going to conspire together and come up with the ultimate single
RCX stacker. The idea works, but putting it together is another thing entirely.
I don't have a whole lot of time now that school has started, and Iain lives
really far away! So let me tell you the idea, and see if anyone wants to pick
up where we left off... I am using a mechanism similar to the one I brought to
the dinner a while back to create four single direction outputs with one motor.
Instead of gear drive it is friction drive, so it has no meshing problems. This
would provide three pneumatic outputs, and a shaft output. I have built this
mechanism, and it works quite well. Now, here is how we had planned on using
the out puts. One pneumatic switch would control both the grabber and lifter.
Both cylinders would be connected in parallel, and the one with less resistance
will move first: ie the grabber. The bocks would be lifted vertically into a
four sided 'bock magazine' mounted on a turntable. Thus allowing four towers to
be carried by the robot. Once one section of the magazine is full, the entire
thing would be rotated by the fourth output coming from the gear box. The
towers would be released one at a time with the second pneumatic switch. The
third pneumatic could be a secret weapon...
So does this whet anyones appetite? I really would like to finish this robot,
but likely won't have time apart from school work. It just might be
possible with the help of some other technic heads to develop some of
the components... Anyway, let me know what you think,

Rob

Lego Walker now @
www.members.home.net/cmagno/technics/index.htm