 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2806
Re: rtlToronto Train2 Video
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.org.ca.parlugment, lugnet.org.ca.monlug
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 17:32:26 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Derek Raycraft writes:
http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-081101-video.mpg

Ok, that's awesome.

Derek

I'll have to agree with that statement (and whole heartedly, I might add!!)
great job putting it together....

I have several comments about it....

1) Even though Chris doesn't "like" his image at the start of the video holding
the "caboose" ('hey, its a train'), I think it shows the openness of the group.
The robotics guys are free to decide whether or not to participate in train
shows (and the amount is up to them) and vice versa - the "train heads" are
allowed to do likewise with the robotics events. (And those in the middle...
ie - love both, are accepted by both groups openly. (1),(2)

2) got a hand it to the cameraman (Iain), that's two video's in a row to
show my backside on the beginning of the tape....

3) I love the shot of Calum "looking" at Derek (Raycraft)'s monorail train,
it makes him look like he's 10....(and looking at a candy store).

4) I love the sequences with the "metroliners" (both the actual 4558/10001 and
Pierre's "Genesis" engine) with all those extra cars....makes me anxious for
the next show.... I am quite sure the next show, everyone will see how long
a metroliner can be...... :)

5) General sequence of video.... 1st half has event highlights, and the
second half (at 1:48 of the video, which (I think) is the main part of the
video, shows the camera following two trains.  The first train it follows on the
outside track, then goes around the loop, and then is ahead of the train
(which is on the inside track).  Then it (the elura car) moves to the
inside track, and does the same basic thing...first following the train, and
then ahead of it. That is four perspectives of the show...front and back on
each "main line" that is pretty good, giving the viewers a track-level shot
(4 times around).

6) Final comment, I like the "journey" of the beginning (wasn't that after
the event...the filming on the hiway???)  Anyways, it finishes off with the
mass group picture that is traditional at (least at) the Train events.
The picture shows 100% of the members from MonLUG and 100% of the members of
the ParLUGment.  My point is this meet was a transitional event from "rtl"
to a more broader spectrum club... TOMLUG.  I think that was cool the way
it was conveied.

Ofcourse there were other things that happened in the video....
for example: Schmoopieville scene, "Godzilla eating plane"

One quick question: (see (3))

Benjamin Medinets

Footnote/Endnotes:

(1) Train 2, had Ka-on Lee (from ParLugment) bring in his "godzilla RCX"
and (rtl's) Rob Stehlik brought a nice, simple train bridge.  Both are
previlant robotics participants at the shows.  Chris Magno, another avid
Robotic Competitor, was there for moral support. :)

(2) The purpose of the shows and the competition is to highlight the "fun"
lego can be, and that all local area enthusiasts (lurkers) are more than
welcome to show up for events to see the "action" (for both the shows and
competitions).

(3) What ever happened to the "monorail crashes into barracade scene"?
I think that would have been a lot more amusing that just the "monorail in
action scene".