 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2441
2440  |  2442
Subject:
Jackpot! - now some questions...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 05:31:52 GMT

Well, after what has unarguably been the worst summer of my life,
Aside from personal issues, the near total absence of garage-sale Lego
this year has done little to distract me from my woes. The fragments
I've been finding here and there haven't even amounted to a single
complete model (with the exception of an MISB Lego Racers box - yippee
- the only reason I bought it was because it's been an almost total
drought otherwise.) As luck would have it, on the very last Saturday
of the garage sale "season", I hit the mother lode! Some of you saw a
hint of this at the last meeting in which I brought 17 complete (with
mint-condition manuals) models from the late 60's/early 70's. That
person was supposed to contact me when they had unearthed the rest
(they were in the process of moving). Last Saturday they had their
second garage sale, and called me to come and see it. The bottom line
- 64 sets, most of them complete, 38 of them with original manuals, 28
that don't really require manuals (if they ever had any - these
include 5 packs (pairs) of switches, 8 sets of straight track, 6 sets
of curved track and 1 set of cross tracks and things like 6306 (12
road signs), 305 & 306 (Lunar crater and landing base plates), etc.
etc.)

Anyway, I've been up till 1am every night this week building models in
order to confirm their completeness. Now I have some questions:

116 - The Deluxe Train Set - did this come with track? I assume it
did, but I don't know how many pieces of track to allocate to it. It's
safe to assume it didn't come with the two cross tracks and that none
of the 10 switches came with it either but does anyone know if it was
just a circle or an oval?

221 - Is this just an idea book? I have idea books that didn't have
set numbers and I have to wonder if this was a book that came with a
basic set containing the pieces used therein. It makes me wonder
because there are the original Lego gears shown in this book and I
don't recall those gears appearing in many other sets.

319 - "Lego Truck With Trailer" - I couldn't find it in my copy of the
Brickshelf data base (my copy is now a almost 2 years old though). My
god! How old is this set?!? Unfortunately I don't see any copyright
date on the manual, but the Lego logo used is the an early one without
the usual colours we currently see (white letters outlined in black
(no yellow) on a red background - no other colours) The logo reads
"Lego Model Maker". It has the appearance of the mid-60's manuals. It
also uses the first style of coupler to connect the truck and trailer.
I'm referring to the type that has a 2x2 pad at each end connected by
a thin line of plastic (non ABS). It's stiff, but still flexible
enough to serve the purpose. This is the same type of white
semi-transparent connector I used to connect my last car of 1971
122/123/124/125 train that I brought to TRAIN2 in the summer. Anyway,
it all points to a really ancient model.

378 - front-end loader with trailer - This is one that I always wanted
as a child, just because of the neat trailer hitch. This is also the
first recollection I have of Lego producing a true SPUD. The body of
the tractor has the front wheels "permanently" attached and connected
to the steering wheel via some sort of internal assembly. I have the
steering wheel. I have the front wheel/SPUD assembly, but the
connecting mechanism is missing. Does anyone have this model? If so,
could you photograph the underside for me so I can see how the
steering mechanism connected the front wheels to the steering wheel?
The trailer SPUD is also quite neat. I've never seen it used anywhere
else. By the way. If you happen to look at the picture of this model
on brickshelf, note that the front end scoop is what I would refer to
as a long-reach variety. This is as opposed to the short-reach variety
I'm going to ask about later.

695 - Black Race Car - This isn't a comment, just an observation...
I've remember seeing this set way back when (1975), but never took a
really close look at it. It's only when I built it that I realized
that the exhast pipes are actually a creative use for kitchen faucets!
One question comes to mind though: In the manual, the 1x2 black
technic blocks that hold the axles are the standard 1x2 blocks with a
hole in them. The 1x2 black blocks that I have, have a hole with a
notch above it at either end. Look at any model that uses a front
scoop (378 or 6630 for example). The block that the lift arms attach
to on the body has a hole at either end with this type of notch in the
top to slide the lift arms over. This makes them distict from technic
1x2 blocks with holes in them in that the holes are at either end of
the brick, not on the sides. I'm wondering if anyone else has this
model and could confirm for me that these are indeed the original 1x2
black technic bricks. The quantity is correct (6) and none of the
other models I have uses them, so what am I to think? I've just never
seen this style of brick used anywhere else.

733 - Large Universal set - This set appears to be complete, but
neither the manual nor the box lists an inventory. I suppose I could
try and build every model in the manual to see if anything is missing,
but that just gets tedious. Does anyone have an inventory for this
set?

810  (1974) - Lego Gear Set  - Ditto for this set. I don't have the
box, just the manual, but an inventory would help to determine if it
is complete.

6000 - I'm assuming that this is just an Idea Book?

6630 - Front-end Loader - This is one set for which I don't have a
manual, but I'm assuming this was one of the sets because of the front
scoop. Does anyone know if there are any other examples of a model
with a YELLOW scoop, attached by RED short-reach arms to a YELLOW
vehicle? Set 378 (see above) uses a Yellow-Red-Yellow combination, but
the arms are the long-reach type.

And now for the left-overs...

I've go a set of 6 flags  - Canadian, American, British, Swiss, French
(I think - Red, White and Green vertical bars) and "LEGO". Did Lego
ever put out a flag set?

I've got a 2x6 brick that says "TAXI" on it. Other than the taxi set
itself (605 - which is in this set as well - I just can't believe they
would have two) are there any other sets that have the word TAXI in a
2x6 black brick?

Also a 1x6 white brick with yellow and black diagonal hazard stripes
on it. Any ideas on where this is from?

Any help would be appreciated.

I'll definately have something to bring to the next meeting.

Matthias Jetleb
VA3-MWJ