 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 1869
Re: DCC Madness - One Step Beyond
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 21:49:41 GMT

"Calum Tsang" <tsangc@mie.utoronto.ca> wrote in message

It's easier to use a non RCX system, as the RCX is really limited in terms
of sensor capabilities.  One possibility is to use industrial automation
PLCs.

Hmm, I dunno. 4 096 I/O might not be enough.

It's a good idea which we can look into in the future.  I know Iain would
really love to work on this, so there's definitely interest.  There's a • few
more technical issues which I'd be worried about-mainly how to take the
sensor system into the TMWDCC control system.  As of now, it doesn't now
allow for external process control at all, and there's no source for it :(

I have this thought on wether or not stuff should be completly automated,
but I don't know how well I am at wording it. It stems from my own desire to
drive trains (metro).

1) If I'm a designer, I'd much rather be designing and programming automated
railways.

2) If I'm a driver/operator, I'd much rather be at the helm of a
manually-driven train with virtually no safety interlocks.

I'm siting somewhere around 1.5 right now, working in automation but also
wanting to drive. So I dunno. If person's module cluster was isolated from
the next, and each one had it's own speed reg, we could tweak operations
somewhat, and allow multiple trains, etc...

(Please don't take this as an "I think this is how it should be done" type
post - I'm meerly a follower!)

    Iain