 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 1862
Re: DCC Madness - One Step Beyond
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 17:25:09 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Derek Raycraft writes:
DCC is really cool for manual control of multiple trains on the same track.
However it doesn't provide any positional feedback so you can't easily have
automatic control of the trains.

The software we're using, TMWDCC 1.33, allows for a "route" mode which can
execute timed switch throwing, but that's about the extent of it.

Iain Hendry has been thinking about this for a while.  One system we thought
of was using a Dacta Control Lab (eight sensor inputs, eight outputs) to do
automated cab/block control, but then the DCC thing rolled around...

You could place a transponder in each train, then put antenna wires under
the track at strategic points.  As the train passed over that point you
would know which train it was and could react to it presents.  The antenna
could be designed as a localized device that ran as a sensor for a RCX.  The
RCX could then do something based on passing of a train.  Or the antennas
could be brought back to a central location and the DCC computer could used
this data.

It's easier to use a non RCX system, as the RCX is really limited in terms
of sensor capabilities.  One possibility is to use industrial automation PLCs.

So feel free to smack me up side the head for bringing something like this
up before there is even a working DDC system setup.  Also, I don't even have
the electronics skills or know how to even begin setting something like this
up.  So feel free to smack me up side the head for that too.  I was just
thinking out loud. :-)

It's a good idea which we can look into in the future.  I know Iain would
really love to work on this, so there's definitely interest.  There's a few
more technical issues which I'd be worried about-mainly how to take the
sensor system into the TMWDCC control system.  As of now, it doesn't now
allow for external process control at all, and there's no source for it :(

Calum