 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 18393
Re: reorgs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2019 19:06:13 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, "David Koudys" <davidkoudys@gmail.com> wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, "David Koudys" <davidkoudys@gmail.com> wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, "Larry Pieniazek"

I did keep as close as possible to the old standard train module--3 32x32
baseplates by 3 32x32 baseplates.  I modified to the extent that 2.5 feet by 2.5
feet is very hard to transport whilst keeping the modules horizontally with a
build on top of it.  So I went with 2 baseplates by 3 baseplates.  These 'mini'
modules slide into a transport box.

So here's some pictures of my layout storage boxes some of the baseplate modules
in the boxes

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm18Np4K

The melamine modules for the baseplates are very heavy.  I can lift the box, but
it's easier with 2 people.  I need to search for a better and lighter module,
but for now the melamine will suffice.

There are 9 modules, each one is 20 inches by 30 inches.  I'll have 5 in one box
and 4 in the other, which will distribute the weight.

I'll update with more pics as needed

Dave

So I got to do a show last weekend!  On a tangent, I really missed doing shows
and I had such a good time just talking to fans of the brick at this one.

Anyway, I did a time lapse of the setup, and you can see the initial set up of
the platform and the baseplates was so quick, and the rest of the time was
getting the buildings, monorail track, et al, up

https://youtu.be/eCXyXvwRhrc

From start to functioning monorails was about 1.5 - 2 hours.  Would have been
less but I was talking with so many people thru the setup process :)

Anyway, the plan is to do more shows, and my personal plan is to get a better
vid of the entire process.

Since the show on the weekend, I've created foam shelves to insert the
ships/vehicles for safer transport.  One thing that always takes time is
reassembling Galaxy Explorers (and the rest) at an event because they got busted
up during shipping.  I've added pics to the flickr link above.  These foam
shelves should aid in time reduction at the next event.

The number one longest time period setup is now the monorail track builds.  I'm
still trying to come up with various ideas to reduce that time.  I did 'break'
the monnorail track down into sections of more than 1 track piece, so instead of
140 individual monorail tracks to put together, there are 53 monorail sections
to put together at shows.  The delay was fining the specific section needed.  I
tried to make the sections as 'differentially limited' as possible -- I'll post
a pic in the flickr stream so you can see.

I was trying to figure out how to 'colour code' the various monorail sections
for the various loops--that would have made it easier, I think.

Anyway, will ruminate on that for a bit and come up with something.

I think my 'comfort zone' for setup from start to finish should be around an
hour and a bit (without talking).  This doesn't include unloading because I
can't factor the ingress/egress of the show premises and the unknown factors
related to that.

There were a few takeaways at the show--I need stanchions.  If I'm going to do
'vendor intense' shows, I need stanchions.  The public is used to walking up to
any table and picking things up.  I'm a displayer, not a vendor -- don't touch
my stuff!!

I also need some literature as to where people can source bricks and the various
newsgroups regarding our chosen hobby.  I've known this for a long time but have
as yet to do it.

I will also, for future shows, not say the layout is 5 by 7.5--that became a bit
of an issue because they placed me against the wall--I need to get behind the
layout in order to set up the layout.  So future requests is going to be at
least 7 x 10

This is a fun learning curve, and I'm very pleased to see all these ideas I've
had rattled up in my brain actually coming out into reality.  Some of these
ideas are working exceedingly well--the boxes and platform, but some have as yet
to be proven and could fail miserably (foam inserts for the ships/vehicles)

We shall see what happens--as always it's the great adventure, and the human
adventure is just beginning... *1 :)

-Dave K
-1 Obscure reference to a panned movie that I actually quite like.  Could it
have been better?  So much so, but, in the end, it's got the 'space' feel done
right, just not the charm of the characters.