 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17838
  Re: Can game - can you handle carpeting?

(...) Presumably, the cans could be placed in the field after the robots were positioned in their starting corners? And the rules do say "Each robot will start in one corner of the play area at a 45 degree angle". ...but I hear you. :) Are the cans (...) (16 years ago, 9-Jan-09, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Can game - can you handle carpeting?

(...) That is what i figured... W e may have another problem though, If the room is carpeted, will a Robot be able to differentiate between the carpet and the Black Tape? (...) That is correct, And Wayne if we use popcans, then your magnet Idea may (...) (16 years ago, 9-Jan-09, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Can game - can you handle carpeting?

(...) Whoah, that's news to me, I'd planned on a wood border. What about using duct tape? Might be easier to distinguish from the carpet. (...) Thought of that, and assumed that the heaviest can would not be aluminum. What could possible go wrong? (...) (16 years ago, 9-Jan-09, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Can game - can you handle carpeting?

(...) Black tape?!? :: panic :: -Iain (16 years ago, 9-Jan-09, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Can game - can you handle carpeting?

(...) Over dinner (missed you, Iain!) we agreed that the usual 8' x 8' wood border, which is painted white fwiw, will be there. If the boards fit in my Subie, I will pick them up from Dave next weekend. And then I will work out how to get the boards (...) (16 years ago, 10-Jan-09, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Can game - can you handle carpeting?

(...) Argh. I just wasted my entire evening then, building a robot that would have qualified based on the webpage, but now not. Grr. ...I guess that's my punishment or Karma for not showing up. :) -Iain (16 years ago, 10-Jan-09, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Can game - can you handle carpeting?

(...) yopu still need to figure out which one's heavier and only hold onto the heaviest at the end of the 3 minutes Dave K (16 years ago, 10-Jan-09, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Can game - can you handle carpeting?

(...) Agreed; but admitedly you don't know what my strategy was... I visited the library today to check out the floor surface. Are you guys really doing the black-tape for the "walls"? Be aware that the floor is all different colours, a patchwork of (...) (16 years ago, 11-Jan-09, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Can game - can you handle carpeting?

(...) Thanks for checking it out Iian, We did decide to go with walls, so no worries there, I am curious if you brought a can with you or not to test the sliding factor??... Oh also, we did discuss that we may not actually wrap the cans in paper to (...) (16 years ago, 12-Jan-09, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Can game - can you handle carpeting?

(...) ...no problem, Guareff. ;) (...) No can. :( I didn't want to attract attention going into the room carrying some canned foods. But I think it's safe to say they won't budge at all. (...) Interesting idea! I didn't know this was a possibility (...) (16 years ago, 16-Jan-09, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Can game - can you handle carpeting?

(...) My thoughts were about 6 to 10 cans, depending on how many can show up... Here is a question for the lot of you, what is the best way to lift a heavy object (I already have a gripper and I was thinking of lifting my can straight up. My gripper (...) (16 years ago, 17-Jan-09, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)