 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 1734
Re: Ordering from the UK
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 15:52:41 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Stehlik writes:
Hi everyone,
I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but Lego Shop at Home in the UK
offers many old and long discontinued parts and service packs. These are not
readily available here in North America. To see for yourself, just go to the
Lego Shop at Home site, and choose the UK as the 'ship to' country. For the
technic heads, this means small pneumatic cylinders, polarity switches,
beams, and even 4.5v motors. For the townies, I'm sure there are various
windows and trees and baseplates and whatever else you are after. What I am
proposing is to get someone on the UK to act as a proxy for me(us). The
order would go to him first, and then he would ship it to us. I have a
contact over there who I bought stuff from before (on ebay). He is reliable
and is willing to do this. Soooo... I want everyone to check the UK S@H
site, and let me know if you want to order anything. By doing it all
together as one order, we could split the shipping costs so it would be
cheaper. Let me know if you are interested...
Rob

good point Rob...

Thanks for the info...I didn't realize this was the case that the European
shops (Lego Direct / Shop @ Home / etc) had sooo much better stuff in them.
Of course, there is a draw-back....a lot of the harder to get, but newer
stuff Lego has put out has only really been offered in north america.
ie the airline promo sets...only available here in north america...euro shops
didn't have them...(1)
they also, at the moment, can't get (or aren't offered yet) the new train
items (though north america is accepting back orders.....)  Another thing
curious is that Euro shops don't offer the white plates....whereas the north
american shop(s) do.
The Guarded in is available in the Euro shops but the "newer" lego knights
kingdom sets....dungeon and a couple other smaller sets (I was recently made
aware of) aren't.  Must be north american exclusives.

I like your idea of finding a English Vendor and having them proxy the
shipments to us.  That is a rock solid idea.  I looked at the items in the
bulk exclusives...and the first thing I saw that I wanted was light bars
for a level crossing (one set for each side).  I thought these were
discontinued....  Also caught my eye were signs that mounted to light bars
(so you could have lighted signs)
Unfortuneately, as they said, the garage door packs (which I now have 4)
are still discontinued... :(  I would love to buy a few more packs...I see
at least one seller is selling them on brickbay.....(2)
I like the fact that they separated the engines from the control switches....
I might think about buying a couple of these, if Tim doesn't sell me a couple
of his Znap sets.(3)

Though right now, I have to make a couple last minute purchases regarding
Train2.  I have to buy a couple of swich tracks (2 sets), and maybe a guarded
inn. (4)

Just some thoughts....

Benjamin Medinets

ps - let us know (and me especially when you are sending in the order)

other notes:

1 - I would have loved if Lego had offered the "cargo" loader truck also
when it offered the airline sets

2 - Lar ++ is the seller on his GOB milton trainworks shop

3 - Tim Strutt (of Parlugment fame; sole attender from Ottawa at Train1)
recently aquired several Znap sets.....like over 20

4 - Guarded Inn has nothing to do with Train2....just a Legend set I'd like
to have....actually I'd like to have all the legend sets (with exception to
the metroliner....I have 2 1/2 of them) :)