 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17209
Re: Rejected mac ad's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:19:37 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ross Crawford wrote:

At age six I had discovered the concept of hotswapping
cards and drives...except of course the Apple II didn't
support this...and summarily I destroyed the $1400
motherboard.

And thus his future life in a technical field was born...

Hey I learned 6502 assembler on mine, remember the
Big Mac macro assembler?

Strangly, I never did have an asembler for the Apple ][. Somehow, my HS friends
and I missed that and did everything on graph paper and raw hex code. The best
part was when we sculpted a 20-30 byte program that latched into the input
vectors and intercepted every keystroke. At random times it would clear the
screen, print "The Phage Strikes", and then return control to the user. The poor
kids in the computer lab always thought their whole program had been erased...
:-).

Strangely, the computer teacher didn't find this quite as funny as I did. But he
let me keep proctoring in the lab, so he must have had a sense of humor.

Calculating 100! exactly under Applesoft BASIC... writing a self-modifying basic
program (with a lot of Peeks and Pokes)... teaching the head cheerleader how to
code in 6502 machine language... <sigh>, those were the days...

<crack!> Get back down there in that pit you minions, and write me the advanced
NXT firmware I *asked* for! <crack!> sigh, it's so hard to write good code
nowadays...

--
Brian Davis